550 Euro for 9 Radiator valves

pennypincher

Just got a quote off a plumber for fitting some TR valves to try and reduce the impact of the gas price increase this october and also make the rooms more comfortable!550 Euro for 9 valves to be fitted,no ackward radiators etc but I've a few concerns.I priced the valves at 13 Euro each but if I bought 5 or more the supplier would drop the price.So roughly this means 450 Euro Labour cost to replace them...seems harsh....also I thought you always left one or two rads free from these valves to "protect"the bolier/ensure your house thermostat was not affected etc etc....Plumber never mentioned it..he also never mentioned Bi directional valves(My previous Post).I 've read on other posts 3-4 hours would be plenty time to do this...but then if this is true he's charging me 100 Euro an hour for labour....!!Anyone else any experience...Are plumbers really charging 100 Euro an hour if so I'm going to re-train!!!!!!

450 Euro Labour cost to replace them...seems harsh. Are plumbers really charging 100 Euro an hour if so I'm going to re-train!!!!!!

the 450 is a bit too much but it's the sort of job that plumbers try and avoid so priced it accordingly.

He could be there two hours or two days. One hour to drain down, Two hours max to fit valves, two hours to re fill. You find two days later that one rad isn't heating fully, and call him out to bleed the rad etc etc. Your paying for the full service. He may also be fitting a bypass valve (if fitting all rads with a trv). He must also rebalance the system as TRV valves change the balance.

if you understand heating systems and the way it works (flow return balance etc) replacing the valves is a DIY job. Make sure to use hemp/flax (not white tape) and jointing compound when fitting the value.

good hints here
[broken link removed]

Its not rocket science, I have replaced these myself and also the rads. Just make sure to follow davidcoco's advice on the flax and boss white (or similar gunk).

Obviously you do have to drain the system before undoing the valve from the pipe etc etc! Have to use relevant wrenches (you need 2 - one to hold the valve in place while you tighten/loosen the connection - otherwise you run the risk of pulling it off)

If you are not entirely confident with doing this, then don't! water everywhere is not a pretty sight.

I had my boiler replaced recently. I had them fit 5 valves, which they charged 20 Euros for each. It took them approx 5-10 min per radiator to fit them. Not sure if this is of any help

It is actually as I just wanted to be sure my concerns that I was being overcharged were valid.I would have a go myself but my system is pressurised and I'm not sure how this would affect changing the valves.At least now I can haggle a little.I'm thinking more 200 Euro if I only get 7 valves done and supply the valves myself...but last time I wanted a small job like this done I couldn't get a plumber to come out...not worth their while..!!