4WD car (not SUV), like VW 4motion. Options?

Betsy Og

I know there's the Audi quottro on many models but a bit pricey for me. Used to be Subaru's but havent seen lately.

Do some towing (caravan) so power on all 4 would be good. Not mad on SUV's and they're a bit pricey.

Any cars do rear wheel drive/ (weight on back so good traction), whereas currently with front wheel drive the weight on back doesnt help. I know BMW's are rear wheel but again pricey. Any others?

Ideally I'd get a Passat 4motion but did they stop doing them? Would be looking for a 2011 or maybe 2012.

The first one that comes to mind is the Subaru Legacy. The Passat 4motion is still available to the best of my knowledge but are pricey, I think new they were north of 40k for the highline. There are a few Legacy's available I see for circa 20k for a 2011 model.

To help the decision, on the new Passat diesels there's some of them gone to 1.6 (as opposed to 2.0). I gather they have retained the same BHP (100 or thereabouts). An opinions about the towing capacity of the 1.6's? I suppose in theory should be no worse than the old 1.9 if the engine power is the same - just a fuel efficiency thing?? Is torque affected by the smaller engine capacity - torque probably the more relevant aspect for towing.

The towing might be 20 days tops a year (if v good weather), so probably not worth running an inefficient rig for the other 345 days (once safe on the 20 towing).

the 2ltr must be a heavier car (stands to reason I suppose), because whattowcar.com tells me it would be fine for towing the caravan I have, whereas the 1.6 is, it says, 85kg too light. I know there are various assumptions throw into those calcs but getting the 2ltr wouldnt be excessive for normal operation (its what I currently have).

So scrapping the 4X4 notion I think, better value to put Alko ATC trailer control on the caravan (to help prevent snaking) and just using a normal 2wd car.