41% of people wearing face masks.

I assume this to be the NUIG survey. I filled out a response last week and questions about face masks were included. If so, the 41% is based on what people say they're doing, rather than what they're actually doing.

Similar to how political polls can fail at accurately predicting how people will actually vote.

In Ireland, as the saying goes, we might be stupid but we’re not bloody stupid!

In Florida, one of the States which has seen a disturbing spike in coronavirus, Palm Beach county commissioners voted to make face masks mandatory in public places, but before holding the vote the commissioners heard from residents.

The vitriol was palpable. Some of the comments from different residents at the hearing:

“You literally cannot mandate somebody to wear a mask knowing that that mask is killing people, it literally is killing people and we the people are waking up and we know what citizen’s arrest is. Because citizen’s arrests are already happening OK. And every single one of that are obeying the devil’s laws are going to be arrested and you doctor, are going to be arrested for crimes against humanity”

“And they want to throw God’s wonderful breathing system out the door. You’re all turning your backs on it”

“I really have many question marks about your degrees and what you really know. I’m sorry ma’am but I don’t think that you are worthy of your credentials. And I would ask suggestively that you go back to school and get educated”

In Ireland, as the saying goes, we might be stupid but we’re not bloody stupid!

In Florida, one of the States which has seen a disturbing spike in coronavirus, Palm Beach county commissioners voted to make face masks mandatory in public places, but before holding the vote the commissioners heard from residents.

The vitriol was palpable. Some of the comments from different residents at the hearing:

“You literally cannot mandate somebody to wear a mask knowing that that mask is killing people, it literally is killing people and we the people are waking up and we know what citizen’s arrest is. Because citizen’s arrests are already happening OK. And every single one of that are obeying the devil’s laws are going to be arrested and you doctor, are going to be arrested for crimes against humanity”

“And they want to throw God’s wonderful breathing system out the door. You’re all turning your backs on it”

“I really have many question marks about your degrees and what you really know. I’m sorry ma’am but I don’t think that you are worthy of your credentials. And I would ask suggestively that you go back to school and get educated”
What do you expect? Religion and Science are like oil and water.

I think Irish people's actions speak the same thing... there's lots of comments on Irish forums the gist of which is
"I've endured restrictions long enough. I'm not wearing a mask to protect the vulnerable. If you're vulnerable it's up to you to cocoon \ protect yourself mate."
"First they were telling us not to wear proper masks, now they are telling us to wear any kind of face covering. Will they make up their minds. And these are the so-called experts."

Last edited:

The full quote of this contributor is also available. She went on to include 5G, Bill Gates, Hillary Clinton, paedophiles, and whatever you're having yourself :rolleyes:

According to Colm Tobin, in California, if you wear a mask you’re a Democrat and if you don’t wear a mask you’re a Republican voter!

As of today masks are “mandatory” on all public transport.
However, a spokeswoman for the NTA said this would not be enforced for at least a couple of weeks.

I've been to a couple of big supermarkets recently. I wasn't wearing a mask. Many people were though, including a few employees, and I felt watched and guilty. Time to get some masks!

Do it.
I started wearing a mask when shopping about a week ago. It definitely feels good and the right thing to do. I now get the added pleasure of looking down my nose at those not wearing one.

Check out Twitter, Rex Chapman, post dated 24 June 2020, 23:01

Don't know if we're allowed to embed, but here are links.

Bus drivers and other transport staff have been advised not to stop passengers that do not wear masks from using public transport.

The latest survey has seen an increase of 4%, up to 45%.
I would say the percentage of people is closed to 4% then 45%!
Maybe this figure applied to non-exempt persons (U12, autism, allergy, etc)?

Masks are one thing but giving people the prescribed room is another. People need to be reminded to do both.

Masks are one thing but giving people the prescribed room is another. People need to be reminded to do both.
If you can't socially distance you wear a mask. No need to do both but it isn't possible to socially distance in a supermarket.

Hand washing is still number one.

Its a respiratory virus though... primary method of infection is from what you breathe in not via what you touch or eat.

And there is no way to wash your respiratory system alas.

Yes, it is a respiratory virus, just like the common cold and the seasonal flu.
But coughing into your hand, and touching your face, etc, then touching a surface (doorhandle, money, squeezy bottle of ketchup, etc.) may leave traces of the virus on that surface, for hours and even days afterward, depending on the surface.

Back