40th Birthday

lz1

My wife is 40 tomorrow, 10 years married a month ago.

We are going to New York early next year without the three kids for a week but I know she will expect a "small surprise" tomorrow even though she has stressed she does not want one.

Any ideas as its a hard one, budget is tight what with Santa and NY comming so I need a good, original and special present.

Typical man I have not planned anything and panic is now in full swing.

Not sure if this is the type of small you had in mind but think that for "significant" events, something you can keep is nice. How about a piece of jewellery, not everyone into bracelets but maybe a costume ring or a necklace that she can wear and show her friends?
Most women love handbags too but you could be in a different price category there. If you think she'd like one, maybe have a look at Radley in Arnotts rather than go the BT route.

Get thee down to Tescos
Champagne and Really good flowers - don't even think of the garage.
Cook a dinner - candles, wine and the works. Or take her out having previously arranged a sitter. Or Concert, show, theatre.

And finally, a really good card with a very personal affectionate message.

mf

We are going to New York early next year without the three kids for a week but I know she will expect a "small surprise" tomorrow even though she has stressed she does not want one.
Get her nothing so. That should surprise her.

with MF1 on the champagne, flowers and cook dinner. That shouldn't break the bank but marks the day nicely.

I may say I want nothing but I do really ! so something that you have put a little thought into and it does not have to cost a fortune. I would go with the flowers and cook something nice. They have a sparkling cava in supervalu at the moment for half price around 9 euro and I would recommend a voucher for a local beauticians so she can treat herself later. Where I live you can get a nice facial for 50 euro and it is a real treat.

Uurgh, can think of nothing worse than being mushed about by a beautician with false nails looking concernedly at signs of age and trying to sell you moisturiser etc. Especially on a sensitive birthday. Not that I'd know, got a few years to go yet.

Third the champagne and flowers, might be a cliche but a nice one. Some of the other options suggested could be nice as a combination with the champagne too...;)

I was going to agree with the dinner/champagne/flowers and realised the birthday has passed. How did it go OP?

Back