4 Days around Northern Ireland

Firefly

Thinking of taking 4 days to travel from Dublin to Sligo around Northern Ireland....any recommendations of places to visit? Preferably around the coast with good seafood. Also, any places to avoid like the plague?!!
Thanks...
Firefly.

Also, any places to avoid like the plague?!!

Derry

I was there a few weeks ago for a weekend and I would not recommend it. Honestly, there is absolutely nothing to do. It was so bad that we didn't even realise we were in the town centre - lots of empty units and nowhere to eat, only in the hotels.

I haven't been, so I can't personally recommend, but Belfast looks a much better city.

the antrim coast road is a must - from Larne along to Portrush - one of the best drives in the world imo (and I think it was voted as such somewhere recently),
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6141692.stm

Will only take a few hours, it also combines the giants causeway and bushmills if you wish to take a look.
If you're interested in golf there's as many golf courses as you'd want in the portrush/portstewart/castlerock area too.
The Inishowen peninsula is also pretty spectacular, as is most of the donegal coast.
Derry city is also pretty good for nightlife etc, but to my shame I know nothing about the coast from belfast down to carlingford.

the antrim coast road is a must - from Larne along to Portrush - one of the best drives in the world imo (and I think it was voted as such somewhere recently),
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6141692.stm

Will only take a few hours, it also combines the giants causeway and bushmills if you wish to take a look.
If you're interested in golf there's as many golf courses as you'd want in the portrush/portstewart/castlerock area too.
The Inishowen peninsula is also pretty spectacular, as is most of the donegal coast.
Derry city is also pretty good for nightlife etc, but to my shame I know nothing about the coast from belfast down to carlingford.

That sounds perfect...whiskey & golf...my kinda a trip...just need a spa in Belfast to please the missus now and we're away!

Mountains of Mourne are great for walks. go to the silent valley and take the ulsterbus up to the dam and walk back. also Newcastle and Tollymore forest park. and there's Kilbroney Park outside of Rostrevor.absolutely stunning views from the top across the fjord to Carlingford/Omeath for a shortcut you can drive 'over' the mournes from Newcastle to Newry but the shore road is nice too. Warrenpoint is nice for walk along the seafront.

One of my favourite parts of the country is Portstewart and its majestic golf course. The drive from there along the north antrim coastline all the ways Back to Belfast via the Glens of Antrim is spectacular and not a bad driving road.

Some restaurants i like are the Wine Bar in Portrush and if your looking for one in Belfast try Ginger, its been a favourite of mine for a long time or Nicks Warehouse for Lunch.

spent a year in uni in portstewart...great place. its neighbours, portrush has an amazing restaurant-its dwon by the pier-but the town itself id avoid, especially at night.
great beach in p'stewart and a visit to the inishowen penninsula is cool. derry city is also a must see. Youll not meet friendlier people on this island.

Don't miss Fermanagh on your way. Enniskillen is a lovely town with great pubs and places to eat. It's got to be one of the greenest counties of Ireland. Also Marble Arch caves are a must.

Don't miss Fermanagh on your way. Enniskillen is a lovely town with great pubs and places to eat. It's got to be one of the greenest counties of Ireland. Also Marble Arch caves are a must.

Agree with that. you can even hire a little boat (puffin?) for a trip on the Erne.

I think the portrush restaurant referred to above is the Ramor Wine bar, or at least used to be!
For good seafood, Kealy's in Greencastle (on the inishowen peninsula) is hard to beat - i think it's won all sorts of awards, google it and see.
Royal Portrush, Portstewart and Castleknock are all top notch courses (I think they mostly charge that way too - open fairways or something would be useful!).

Back