36 inch timber door

muffin1973

Hi

does anyone have any suggestions where we could buy a 36 inch timber front door and rough price of same? Checked out doors & floors and were quoted about €800 for the door itself. B&Q etc. just seem to do standard size front doors (32 inch).

Any ideas?

Thanks

M

Sorry I cannot recommend any places but I was looking for 2 X 36 inch doors earlier in the year to replace internal sliding doors in an old house. Tried many of the door places around Dublin without joy. 'Would have to be specially made' was the standard answer and when I asked for a price I was quoted €1,500.00 for a pair. Needless to say I contacted a carpenter friend who was amazed at the price but as it was a one off order he could see why the store were quoting such a high price. Ended up with 2 X 34 inch doors and fitted these with a bit of creativity !!!! Doors Plus out in Finglas (behind Denis Mahony Motors) were very helpfull.

A non standard door like this is generally a job for a joinery shop and these can charge as they like- given that such a one off job necessitates laborious set-up of machines and some element of hand work. Depending on the finish required to the door it may be possible to glue, dowel and screw two solid timber edgings to either stile. However this is really only suitable for a door to be painted and it will obviously alter the proportions of the door- so may not be appropriate.

you could try dublin door (doorsireland.ie) they have some nice mahogany doors that come in 36 inch , sometimes they have all them in stock or they will be getting them in and are very easy too deal with .also check out doorstore.co.uk in the north , their doors are nearly half the price of the door shops in dublin and i think they do deliverys to the south aswell
good luck