30k to invest - moneycube / zurich / etc. Some advice welcome

MoneyInc

I'd appreciate some general advice on investing 30k that I don't need for a long time, I'd like to invest it for 12 years minimum. I have other cash for a rainy day.

I think I'd like to put it in an investment fund of some sort, something I could just invest it and forget about it until 12 yrs later or more. I've been reading up on moneycube and zurich and am wondering if these are the best ways to go? What broker fees should I be looking to try and get on these services, etc.

Also, I believe these fund are ETF's, if I believe correct, then I also think the exit tax is 41% on these and also has a tax thing at 8yrs, is this correct? And if so is it still a worthwhile long term investment or does the tax paperwork rule it out? Does the likes of moneycube and Zurich do the tax for you as part of their fees or is thi san additional cost I'd have to pay my own sourced accountant? I don't think I'd be able to do these particular taxes myself. I could probably handle doing the 31% CGT on ordinary shares myself. The only other alternative I have is just leaving it in a savings account which I really don't want to do.

I'd also appreciate some practical advice as to invest it all in 1 thing or maybe invest in 3 things via 10K in each of the 3 things. Or will that just incur 3 times the fees.
I'd appreciate some advice on the above or on any alternatives I should consider instead. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Moneycube is new to me - looks interesting!

Are you just thinking of teh lump sum or regular monthly contributions going forward too? I have some funds with Zurich - I know people rightly give out about fees etc. and ETFs being cheaper, but if you don't know a lot about investing, and want to invest small amounts monthly, with no tax paperwork or personal hassle than Zurich with around a 1% AMC is a good option imo. It's horses for courses, and there are far cheaper options in terms of investing directly etc. but for a completely no effort option, the likes of Zurich are worth considering. Better than deposit accounts at the moment for a long term horizon anyway imo!

I'd mainly like to invest the lump at the minute and possibly invest monthly then down the line. I definitely don't want the burden of trying to do my own tax on ETF's with the deemed disposal tax element.

What are the far cheaper options in terms of investing directly? Are these basically investing in ETF's directly via an online trading platform?

Can anyone educate me on Investment funds, are these ETF's but basically through a broker like Moneycube / Zurich? Are there any investment funds that you can invest directly in via trading platform the way you would with buying shares and if so, do these funds come under the 31% CGT or still the 41% ?

It's hard to know what to do or what company / broker to do it with, I think.

If you have earned income and are not maximising your pension contribution, is it worth putting the funds into a pension, even if you have to spread it over a couple of years to get the full tax benefit?

If you have earned income and are not maximising your pension contribution, is it worth putting the funds into a pension, even if you have to spread it over a couple of years to get the full tax benefit?

I'm not sure, is it worth it, I don't currently have a pension, I looked into it recently and am undecided of getting one. I looked at the possibility of using a pension a good tax incentive method of saving money and letting it grow but I'd only be interested if I could be guaranteed to withdraw a lump sum tax free at age 50. But I was advised this isn't always possible and that the rules could change in any yr during my pension that the age 50 is moved to age 55 etc... and there'd be nothing I could do about it. There's also some condition that I couldn't be working for the same company when I try to draw down a lump at 50 too, so I'm not sure it's for me. Plus what if I don't live to age 65 /66/67 to enjoy it, would of being a waste paying in, I have no one else to give it to, would rather enjoy the money now or invest it and get it back in 10-15yrs or so; not when I'm 65 and fecked.

For the minute I'm looking for a better way to invest some saved cash that's better than banks interest and looking to invest it for 10/15 yrs or so, etc. Sometimes I think the more I read the more confusing it gets, haha.

I still haven't figured out for definite if there are any investment trusts that I can invest in (be they UK / Europe / Ireland /USA) that are subject to capital gains tax 33% as opposed to the 41% exit and 8yr deemed disposal tax. Or are all investment trusts subject to 41% exit and deemed disposal regardless of what country they're based.

Thanks for the links, I've looked at these and am trying to determine if I can educate myself enough to go the execution way. If a fund I choose isn't doing well after 3yrs, is it up to me to change that fund and try choose a better one?

Buy a book like 'a random walk down wall street' and read it! Then you will understand better what type of fund to choose (passive ones!), and why you want to buy and hold. And why you certainly don't want to sell out when markets fall

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, I've looked at these and am trying to determine if I can educate myself enough to go the execution way. If a fund I choose isn't doing well after 3yrs, is it up to me to change that fund and try choose a better one?
I think you will find the answer in your question - "if a fund I choose isn't doing well after 3yrs, is it up to me to change the fund and try choose a better one?"

Who else could it be up to?

Ok, well if not going the execution route and going through Zurich brokers what AMC's should I be able to get? I notice they don't list the fees on their website, have all the fund sheets and countless other documents but nothing regarding the actual fees, levies, tax treatment, etc.. I think they want you to contact them and then they'll tell you all that?

Or can anyone here recommend a good broker or place at the minute to invest in the Prisma 5 fund bond where fees are clearly stated.

I'm guessing the best deals are through the Zurich brokers themselves on the Zurich website?

I'm guessing the best deals are through the Zurich brokers themselves on the Zurich website?

Zurich, like all the product producers, offer a range of charging options on each of their products and different brokers have the freedom to use different charging structures. So some brokers will charge more than others. Avoid going to a Zurich sales rep directly as they don't tend to be the lowest cost. There are several brokers who post here on AAM who should be able to see you right.