3 weeks on and my new car is still not registered in my name

MissSherry

Hi there,

I bought a 08 car from a used car dealer 3 weeks ago today and traded in my old car. That day the dealer took my old vehicle reg cert off me, tapped a few keys on his PC and told me he'd just done the change of ownership online for me (i've since found out this cannot be done online!) The vehicle registration for my new car has still not arrived, have checked online and it's not yet up on the system so i cannot tax the car.

Rang the dealer last week and he then said he'd forgotten to do it but would get it done that day. I reminded him that i saw him 'doing it online' and he said he mustn't have done it properly. It is now a week on and my car is still not on the motor tax online system and I've received no cert in post. Rang the dealer today and he's gone on hols this week, his partner said he'd look into it and get back to me but that was 4 hours ago and i can't get through to their phone now.

Actually, have just gotten through and his partner said he's still waiting on a call back from the woman at the motor tax office but will call me tomorrow. I told him i'd be calling him first thing because i'm getting a bit concerned. It was then that he said 'if its a case that the book was lost or anything like that, it'll only take 4 days to replace it'. That does not sound good at all! Though as i don't know anything about cars maybe this is common enough?

I did a cartell.ie check and the only thing that stood out was that the car hasn't been taxed since Sept 10 but that could mean it's just been in a dealers since then couldn’t it?

Maybe i have no need to be worried but I really don't want the car to be taken off me because i've no tax! Have the sales receipt in glove box just in case.

Thanks, yeah i see now that missing logbooks are a common enough complaint. Seems like you've to jump through a few hoops to get a replacement one too. Will ring that place tomorrow (actually rang them last week and the automated machine just tells you to ring the previous owner but will try speaking to someone this time) Thanks Billo.

Back