3 kids seats in the back

lz1

#3 on the way, need a bigger car, one that takes 3 seats.
Dont want or need a SUV or MPV that takes the SSIA to fill it at 15mpg.
I need a estate car 1.6 to 1.8 .

Any ideas?

Consider a new/used Mondeo. Great cars and are a bargain 2nd hand. New ones depreciate quickly in the 1st couple of years.

1.8 Zetec petrol is ok on juice, but the 2.0 TDCI diesel is better if you cover a few miles.

Both are good to drive, very safe, and will still have a massive boot even when full of adults and 3 kids.

Plenty around so take your time and view a few before buying.

Avensis or corolla verso - toyotas always hold their value and are reliable. I have been driving one all my life and have never had problems with one.

Ive asked something similar here
Ive had the following recommended

renault scenic
toyota corolla verso
Ford focus c-max
seat alhambra
daihatsu terios

Most should be available in 1.4L upwards.
Theyre mostly MPVs tho but Im finding it hard to get away from them. Ive 2 kids that need car seats but I need something with a big boot for a hobby I have. The only estate Ive looked at is the volvo S50 as I know someone selling it. Pricey tho, starting at 28k upwards even for SH.
A friend of mine recently bought the terios as he has 3 kids but he says he finds it small for 3, but its a 1.3L so it might come into your reckoning.

Ive been looking at the following sites for buying, the first 3 sites have a lot fo the same cars as dealers use them

www.carzone.ie
www.buyandsell.ie

use this site for reviews of cars of all types and years
www.honestjohn.co.uk

use this site for background info on cars
www.cartell.ie

hth..

I remember reading a thread on motornet (now defunct) a good while ago where a man set out to find an estate car which would take 3 child seats in the back and the Saab 9-5 estate was the only one he could find. Smallest engine is 2.0 though.

A Mondeo will do it comfortably.

An Mondeo estate is a big car.

Have another think about an MPV - with 3 kids, and especially as they get older and make friends/do activities, you'll find yourself needing to cart more than just your own around. We have 3 kids and an MPV with a total of 7 seats and we often use all of them (and even turn some kids away because we won't take more than the number of seatbelts). You may not be at the stage yet of driving hoards of kids to soccer/swimming/parties etc. but it won't be long creeping up on you and unless you change your car every 2/3 years, this one will still be with you then.

RS2K said:
Does anyone read original posts anymore?

Yes. That's usually where people start. Nothing wrong with offering alternative advice which might be helpful to the OP. Although it is very kind of you to act as his self-appointed guardian, if the OP wants to jump in and say only an estate car will do, fair enough but he hasn't so maybe he's open to other advice.

Oh but it's so much fun. What the OP actually said was

lz1 said:
Dont want or need a SUV or MPV that takes the SSIA to fill it at 15mpg.

Which may mean that he is open to an MPV which does not take the SSIA to fill it at 15mpg. Not all MPVs are gas-guzzlers. If you're going to be carrying kids in addition to your own, you owe it to them to have a car with enough seatbelts for everyone.

Open to all suggestions but would prefer a estate.
Thanks for all your thoughts, maybe I should get them bikes considering the price of oil!

i am currently driving a 01 laguna estate, I have 3 small kids and its great. loads of boot space, all mod cons (ac etc..) extremely comfortable car. its 1.6l petrol so whilst a little underpowered it does almost 40 to the gallon.

However if you want a real good family estate look at the Volvo V70. I'm currently trying to get the model with the built in child booster seats and extra seats in the boot. Its the business!!

[broken link removed]

SAAB 95

Can come in 1.9 TDI (approx equivalent to 1.6 in petrol)

or

[broken link removed]

can come in 1.9TDI or 1.8i

And I promise to wave back at you!

The new (re-style) Saab 9-5 is one hell of an ugly looking car-as they said on Top Gear-they took the old model and gave it Dame Edna specs.

I'm not a fan of the new or the old style 95, but the 93 is georgeous.