3 days in Philadelphia - what should I not miss

olivia

I will be in Philadeplphia next week for 3 days and want to 'do' the city. what should I not miss?

The Steps Rocky ran up in front of the muesum of Art, apart from that not much else. Maybe the Muesum itself.

A walk along South Street is worth doing (tattoo parlours, trendy shops and some hip restaurant & bars). A look around the historic dwellings of the Society Hill area is nice too, the same with Penn’s Landing (by the river). I thought Philadelphia was a great place for walking around (it’s not that big) and taking in the sights (I’d recommend taking the red open-top bus to get your bearings and you’ll hear some very interesting pieces of historical trivia). There aren’t a whole lot of activities that you can do but I really enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere and found that there were plenty of bars and restaurants full of life even mid-week.

Phila. is a bit of a kip - 3 nights a bit long to stay there - why not stay there for 1 nite and NY for 2 nites. It has very little going for it and it's quite scruffy.

Good Rodin museum there, or at least there used to be. And don't forget to have a cheesesteak!

The Barnes Foundation just outside Philly (and easily reached by local train and a short walk or else just get a taxi) has probably one of the best collections of impressionest painting in the world outside of Paris. It limits the number of visitors daily so you probably need to book in advance but personally I think it is possibly the finest art gallery I have ever seen

In Philly itself, the Constitution centre is also well worth a look with an excellent museum devoted to the US constitution.

If you are into sports, the ice Hockey season is up and running so you could go and see the Flyers, Basketball is in pre-season, so you might catch a 76ers game. Also , the Phillies are in the Baseball world series at the minute, if they win, expect one major party. You're unlikely to get tickets for the baseball at this stage. but you should have no problem getting tickets for the ice hockey or basketball. Try www.nhl.com for more info on hockey and www.nba.com on basketball

Lastly, from a shopping perspective, bear in mind unlike New York, there is no sales tax in Philly

Back