3 days in Paris - where to stay, eat, etc

RMCF

Heading to Paris shortly and was wondering if anyone could make some recommendations?

Looking 1st of all for a decent hotel. It looks like a very pricey city but I am not looking for a Hilton or Radisson. Just a clean, centrally located hotel for a reasonable price.

Also, what about places to eat that may be worth visiting?

I appreciate that the usual must-sees like The Louvre, The Effiel Tower etc, but what about lesser knowns things/places to visit?

Finally, is a 3 day visit too short to travel to Disneyland Paris? I'm sure it would eat up an entire day - and probably a long one at that !!

Any advice appreciated.

Went to Paris Xmas 3 years ago. Was warned not to go near a hotel in the centre as they were all rip offs. Was recommended a hotel called the Golden Tulip. It was excellent only it was about 10 mins on the metro to get into the centre. Breakfast was relly nice.
As far as I recall it was a 4 star but reasonably priced. Google it and you'll find it.

We're heading there in September as part of our 2 weeks in the Vendee region & are getting the TGV up from Nantes. We got Le Meridien Montparnasse for €120 per night on Priceline. It's not the most central of hotels, but it's right beside Gare Montparnasse where the TGV departs from & there's plenty of Metro stations around so it's pretty accessible.

If you've never been to Paris, the major touristy things are great - I love the Eiffel Tower at dish/nighttime as the views are even more special. A Bateau Mouche cruise down the Seine is always a nice way to see the sights. Personally I prefer getting the bus around instead of the Metro as you get to see more - particularly if you're heading up to Sacre Coeur (my favourite place in Paris) - get the Funicular up to the church & then get the bus down through Montmartre to the Seine

If you've time, a visit to the Science Museum is great fun (M Porte de la Vilette) I'd also recommend buying the Lonely Planet Paris Encounters guidebook - it's tiny but crammed full of information

Was in Paris last year and stayed in a Best Western in the La Fayette area, beside Grand Nord metro, which was fairly central. Having not been to Paris previously, three days is very short and taking in Eurodisney will not allow much time for taking in the essentials in the city. Found it most expensive but then didn't have the time to check out any of the more reasonable parts, for which there are. As babaduck recommended, the lonely planet guide is good but you need the time to explore.

Thanks for your replies so far folks.

Have discussed the Disneyland idea with the OH and we are thinking that taking a full day out of 3 to see it might be a bad idea, especially as 1 day might not be enough at it anyway. So will probably just leave it.

As for the other suggestions, I do appreciate that the Metro means that you don't need to stay in the very centre of the city as you will get around easily enough.

And by the wya, I have been there with the lads twice before myself, but it was for footie and I was just there for a good time and didn't do any of the touristy stuff, thats why I have to ask for advice this time !!!

Keep it coming.

Hi,
I'd recommend getting the "Red Route" tourist bus as early on in you time there as possible, afaik you get a 2 day ticket that basically let's you get on/off on any of the stops, I found it a good way of getting to know where everything is relative to each other in the city. The whole tour only takes an hour or so (if I remember correctly) & the buses run every 15 mins.

Possibly the Hotel de l'Avre would suit you. The rooms are simple but at at the price you can't go wrong. The Eiffel Tower is about 10 mins walk and the Metro is 2 mins from the hotel; (Metro to Trocadero, walk down and across the Seine under the Eiffel Tower and through the Parc du Mars back to the hotel, is nice). I personally would return there. The hotel is reviewed La Pere Claude is a nice restaurant about 3 mins from the hotel. Get a guide book. I was recently in Rome and found the DK guidebook to be invaluable, next time I'm in Paris I'll be getting a DK guidebook

Looked like a nice, convenient hotel but its booked up for the dates I'm travelling. Shame.

Thanks

I travel regularly to Paris - sometimes with the kids. I have been using Hotel Langlois since 2002. Stayed there last - Marcg 2007 and Sept. 2007 and Feb. 2008. Very central, 100m from Trinité Metro, close to main shopping streets, can walk to Gare St Lazare for getting to and from Charles De Gaulle Airport.
Read the reviews on Tripadvisor.

http://www.hotel-langlois.com/

If you want an authentic French restaurant (used by French families and recommended to me by a Parisien), not too expensive, perfect for you and your partner, this is very good:-
http://www.lecoupechou.com/

For something different, visit the Catacombs... not with very young kids.

You can cover Eurodisney on a day trip. Versailles is also worth a day trip if the weather is good, though get their early to get ahead of the crowds.

Hi
myself partner 2 kids went last oct we stayed in disney for 3 days then headed down to paris we stayed in "novotel " it is a chain of hotels located around france i have to say it was very clean and comfortable nowhere in paris is really far from anywhere once your near the metro as for eating out id bring a few ham sambos food wasnt great anywhere we tried the best food we had was a few crepes at the eiffel tower
enjoy your stay though