3 car seats- group 1 and a group 0

lozza

Hi All
bought a mazda 5 last year and really like it however we are now thinking about expanding our brood to 3 which means we will hopefully have 3 under 3. Currently I have a britax evolva and a regular britax stage 1 and plan to keep both of these, when new baba comes he/she will be in maxi cosi. I couldn't believe it when I tried to get the 3 car seats into the 2nd row of my mazda there wasn't a hope in hell of them fitting. i also tried the 3 in my sister Citroen grand picasso and there was no go there either.
Does anyone have 3 small children and what car/mpv solutions did you come up with (I don't want to put any children in 3rd row).

thanks!

Put new baba in the front (passenger !!) seat facing backwards, I don't know the name of the baby-seat. Have the dealer disable the air-bag(s) on that side if there is no visible disarming switch. Mr Lozza takes the bus or travels by rail - roof-rail that is.

We had the same dilemma and the only solution we could find was the Ford S-max or Galaxy. We settled on the S-max and are v happy with it.

Can't disable air bag and there was a case in paper 2 weeks ago where a disabled air bag went off and passenger (not a baby) was injured, that could possibly kill a baby.. But still what happens when baby grows out of maxi cosi still no room in back?!

I had the same problem and bought a Hyundai Santa Fe 7 seater - best buy ever, brilliant car.

Interesting that the Santa Fe worked for you, we also tried that but 3 Group 0/1 seats would not fit across the second row without intruding on the seat belt buckle mechanism which makes the installation unsafe.

The Hyundai has a bench seat for second row where the S-Max has 3 separate seats which can all be adjusted forward and back independantly so car seats dont push against each other.

Besides, the S-max is available in 1.8 Diesel versus the 2.2 Diesel Santa Fe. A saving of €170 on car tax and better fuel economy.

Also, in terms of driving/visibility/spec a mid level version of the S-max is better package than the entry level Hyundai. Its €3K cheaper

From a 7 seat perspective, I guess the only "appeal" to the Hyundai is that it could be perceived to be a rugged SUV but most are 2wd and the entry level 4wd version costs an additional €2K. Paying a lot in my opinion for the SUV bodystyle!

From a 7 seat perspective, I guess the only "appeal" to the Hyundai is that it could be perceived to be a rugged SUV but most are 2wd and the entry level 4wd version costs an additional €2K. Paying a lot in my opinion for the SUV bodystyle!

Yup!....and I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those Ford SMax vans ...each to their own I guess.

Let face it neither yoke is a looker. The S-Max is rated as a decent drive though. Both are out of my price range, I've been looking at the older Galaxy alternatives.

Yup!....and I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those Ford SMax vans ...each to their own I guess.

Yes each to their own and not everyone is as vain as you

Plus one on what Marple said and with the 1.8l it is cheaper to insure than a 2.2l. For 2+3 families IMO it is a fantastic car/van (call it what you like). Three individual seats in the middle row and the boot space is huge. It's a good drive, delivers good economy for its size and will pull a 1200kg boat up a slipway with no problem.

Personally, I like its looks but I'm not vain enough to give a toss about how other people perceive how I look in it.

Let me fly the flag (again) for the Honda FR-V. 3 independent back seats, large boot and a 6th seat when needed. I like the styling - different to the typical MPV, and Hondas are very reliable. We have an 05 model with 70,000 kilometres on it and no probs so far.

Setanta I test frove the FRV last year when we were looking initially and it was defo my choice based on looks alone but when I was inside it I thought it was very basic inside and felt a bit rattly, how long have you had yours and are all your experiences positive?

The alternative is to buy 'slimline' car seats. Is there any such thing??? Most car seats I see are like thrones!

Well we can fit 3 full size seats into a 02 Citroen Picasso without any problem, all Britax models, maybe easier to replace the child seats, certainly cheaper.

I have all Britax models and tbh I am loathe to change them as they get the highest safety rating from Which magazine! Will definetly try all your suggestions though thanks to everyone!

Just don't ever have a puncture in the S-Max. No spare tyre and nowhere to put one. Instead you get can of foam tube filler. It's really useful!!!!