2nd hand house - snagging?

dillons

Hi,

I have just moved into a 2 yr old hse and have been talking to my new neighbour who advised me to draw up a snag list and submit it to the management company/builders as they are on site every second week completing snagging items.
Given that I wasn't the original owner, am I entitled to draw up a snag based on issues on a 2yr old house? just thought I'd seek opinions before calling the management company.

Tks,
dillons

No! The minor defects period is 6 months & the major defects period is 18 months from date of occupation, so you have no right to issue a snag list to the builder. Any issues you have are between you & the seller of the house

No! The minor defects period is 6 months & the major defects period is 18 months from date of occupation, so you have no right to issue a snag list to the builder. Any issues you have are between you & the seller of the house

Exactly- no contract exists between you and the builder- unless there were major structural items which might be subject to a claim against Homebond. In this instance the Homebond guarantee is transferable between purchasers.

Thanks for the replies. that's what I thought myself. I did mention my doubts to my new neighbour but he was having none of it and said that because the snagging is taking so long to complete, I would be entitled.
I think I'll leave it there now...

Thanks for the replies. that's what I thought myself. I did mention my doubts to my new neighbour but he was having none of it and said that because the snagging is taking so long to complete, I would be entitled.
I think I'll leave it there now...

He sounds like a charm!!!

Then again, if you did find items that needed fixing, you could throw the builders a few bob next time they're on site and it could be fixed much easier than trying to get your own handyman in to fix stuff.