2nd hand car for approx 8k -rec 2006 VW Golf?

Plek Trum

Hi all,

time to change the current car and get something more practical, budget limited to in and around 8k. (Trading in a 2000 BMW 3series, very good condition, need someting cheaper to run and tax).

I have seen a 2006 VW Golf, 1.4 petrol, 48kmiles, nice looking.
Price 7,500euro, garage prov offering 1,500 to 2,00euro as trade in value on BMW.

Do you have any opinions on the Golf? Any pitfalls or faults to be aware of?

Price seems good and trade in too but would appreciate feedback / experiences from you before I view.

Many thanks in advance!

You wont be able to overtake anything in a 1.4 Golf. Its a heavy car and an underpowered engine (75hp).

You wont be able to overtake anything in a 1.4 Golf. Its a heavy car and an underpowered engine (75hp).

+1

And if my experience with VW is anything to go by, whenever problems inevitably arise, they'll tell you either

a/ if you don't go to the same garage they'll say you should have bought the car from us

or

b/ you should buy the newer model

VW are statistically average in terms of reliability: http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Volkswagen/Golf/2006/Hatchback/

I'd sooner go for a Seat or Skoda, as despite being part of the VW group, the dealers that I've come across are much more enthusiastic about cars / humans.

Buy a Focus. Better to Drive and cheaper to service and run.

Or... buy a 3 series Diesel.

Thanks for all the info guys, appreciate it. Really trying to make a sensible and economical choice - would be very content with a 3 series Diesel but I've been stung too many times with BMW part costs so will avoid that!

Will have a good thing and maybe stall my decision a while until I have researched your input more. Appreciate you taking the time to post, thanks.