2nd Hand Car: Engine requires 2nd Replacement

A

Annette

I bought a car, 1998 Golf, in June 2003 with a six month warranty from an independent dealer. The car gave me loads of trouble from the start & after a lot of wrangling, the dealer replaced the engine in September 2004, 5 months into the guarantee.
After recent car trouble I brought it to a VW garage & they maintain the car needs yet another new engine. Too much back burn on the engine apparently.
Am I legally entitled to go back to the dealer & ask him to replace the replacement engine as it only served it's purpose for 1 year?
Any advise greatly appreciated.

Hi Annette,
I'm not an expert in this situation but I'd be pessimistic.

Apparently, there are 3 R's when buying things (according to the consumer affairs expert on Newstalk 106) - Repair, Replace, Refund.

You got a 6 month warranty & the dealer did 'replace' the engine. Once the 6 months were up, I'd suggest he has no responsibility to you. I'm ignoring the morality of what he did.

If it happens again, I'd reject the car, in writing, after a short time.

Sorry but maybe someone else has a more positive opinion.

Sluice

Another inexpert opinion.

I'd wonder if the seller's obligation to sell goods which are 'fit for the purpose sold' (under the Sale of Goods Act) has been breached by selling/fitting the engine which ran for such a short period?

Call the [broken link removed] for an expert opinion.

Back