2nd hand BMW V's New Vectra

heather

[FONT=&quot]I'm looking at buying a car, thinking either a good low mileage 02/03 BMW 520, however someone suggested taking a look at the likes of a vectra or similar. Both are similarly priced, I'm wondering which will depreciate quicker, and whether people think its better to go for 2nd hand luxury or brand new reliability? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I'm looking at buying a car, thinking either a good low mileage 02/03 BMW 520, however someone suggested taking a look at the likes of a vectra or similar. Both are similarly priced, I'm wondering which will depreciate quicker, and whether people think its better to go for 2nd hand luxury or brand new reliability? [/FONT]

IMHO a 02/03 BMW has done alot of it's depreciation already. Brand new vectra will depreciate hugely the moment you drive out of the dealers forecourts, so if depreciation is your concern go for BMW.

I would personally go for BMW. a 03 BMW would have most of the stuff that could go wrong with it already discovered so you'll hopefully get a few years of luxury fairly hassle-free motoring. It'll be more expensive to run in general though, but at least you get to drive a nice car for the money you spend!

the BMW.... no question...

BMW has done most of its appreciating off the fore court.

It is a far superior car and drive and not many wil dispute that, expensive for main dealer service.If you do buy it from one of the main delaers you will get 1 year warranty with it ( you will pay a prrmium for the MD warranty of course ) .

It has to be the BMW. The Vectra has very little going for it. The depreciation on a new Vectra would be eye watering. The car itself is not that good or reliable. There are better out there in its class ie Mondeo. You will of course be paying a premium on running costs but a well minded 5 series with a few extras will always find a buyer when you are finished with it. Automatic 5 series seem to be far more in demand than manuals and may be worth shelling out a bit more for.

Thats what I thought, the one I'm looking at is automatic, leather etc. Is there anything new around the price range of the vectra that could compete with the second hand beemer?

Thats what I thought, the one I'm looking at is automatic, leather etc. Is there anything new around the price range of the vectra that could compete with the second hand beemer?

No.

02/03 BMW 520 vs new Vectra or similarly priced rep car is a bit like comparing expensive pate with vegemite.

If all you want is a reliable saloon then you could buy a 03 Accord, save yourself a heap of cash and drive it into the ground. But you just cannot compare the driveability of a Beamer over (what is arguably) a dreadful car - the Vectra!

what about 2005 3 series? low milage and service package would be a bonus and se is well equiped.

what about 2005 3 series? low milage and service package would be a bonus and se is well equiped.

I would still go for the 5 series which offers reasonable value second-hand and that lovely 6 cylinder engine. They also have excellent luggage and passenger space that the 3 series does not. 4 cylinder petrol 3 series are not that great. The 320d however is the pick of the bunch but they are very pricey second hand and low mileage well cared for examples are hard to find and priced accordingly.

Back