2nd blown head gasket on Landrover Freelander, who is responsible?

Mongola

Hi,

I am hoping you may be able to answer a question:

I have a Landrover Freelander, petrol, year 05. I bought it from a dealership in november 2007. The car started to give me some trouble soon enough. Within a year, the head gasket was gone: as the car was still under warranty the garage (the dealership) took care of it free of charge.

My car is again in the garage with a suspected blown head gasket (or about to blow) (coolant leaking inside) I have brought it to them as soon as I noticed it. I am very attentive when it comes to the car and always had service done regularly and any repairs needed.

(I get it serviced/repaired in the same dealership I bought it from so they know full car history)

Since my car was in the garage today and still is, I did get a taxi home. I was telling him about the whole story (poor guy) and he said something that I thought was worth investigating.

He said that once something goes on a car and is fixed under warranty, if it happens again, even outside warranty, it is up to the garage to cover it as it is a fault known to them. Those Freelander are reknown to have many pb, including head gasket and I have been told that (of course, after I bought it) by the garage/dealership.

May I point that that I did buy the car as a second hand car but I did have the one year warranty back in 2007 (would have covered 2007-2008)

Was the taxi man right or am I just hoping for a miracle there? If correct, is there any written proof?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mongola

Never have heard of that before. In fairness it sounds like it could be a design fault in the car (most cars have something that is a known issue)

I cannot see how 4 years (and out of warranty) after you bought the car that you'd expect the dealer or manufacturer to cover it.

Check if the manufacturer has accepted that its a design fault and you may have some comeback. By this I mean, they have probably issued a recall for it.

Thank you Flattea2. I know...I know...I had never heard of that before but I would be a fool not to investigate that though....

Something very similar happened to me with an Opel Astra a couple of years ago. Bought it second hand from a main Opel Dealer, 1 year warranty. Gasket blew after 13 months - they replaced free of charge. Two years later (2 years and 1 month outside original guarantee period) the same thing happened.

I got onto the garage - told them they had replaced and should stand over their work. They agreed pretty quickly to do it for half the cost.

That model freelander is notorius for head gasket trouble, dont expect an end to this. The cylinder liners can also cause trouble and give the same symptoms as head gasket failure. The petrol engine installed in the freelanders were disastrous.

That model freelander is notorius for head gasket trouble, dont expect an end to this. The cylinder liners can also cause trouble and give the same symptoms as head gasket failure. The petrol engine installed in the freelanders were disastrous.

Agreed, the diesel BMW engines were a far better option.

Unfortunately warranty will only cover what happens during that specified cover period or immediately thereafter. Most dealers if they have carried out the work will offer you 12%-15% discount off parts and/or a portion of the labour out of "goodwill" unless they deem the driver is at fault for the repeat repairs (this usually only applies to wear and tear items though e.g. clutch).

Bullbars, you have hit the nail right on the head. Day 3: car i still in the garage and I was talking to the mechanic this morning who suspects that there is also trouble with the cylinders.

I do wish I had gone for a diesel (I believe they have the BMW's engines) at the time but shoulda, coulda, woulda...! too late so I think at this stage I need to cut my losses and wave goodbye to this dying duck!

The 1.8 litre engine in the free lander is the k series unit. Known the world over for head gasket problems.
The k series unit in general whatever capacity gives the same bother.

Quick update here... I have been giving myself big headaches trying to figure out what to do and I have decided to get rid of it!
I have been without a car for over a week (still in the garage) and last Thursday, I told them that I was done with it. I think I am just going to get a very small car and old for a year or two (Toyota Yaris, 2000).
It is unusual to downgrade but at the moment it makes sense for me!

Sounds like a good decision to me. It's a lovely looking yoke the Freelander, but an absolute pig for this reason. Most of the Rovers have problems with the heads too. Yaris is just about bullet - proof.

Couldnt expect anyone ( Mechanic or layman, Dealer or not ) to stand over a job for 4 years !...

My family work within the Motor Industry and to be honest no one will give you a warranty for more than 1 year apart from the orignal manufacturers warranty.
No matter what vehicle you buy once the head gasket goes replace and get rid of it as they are never the same due to the heat which swells parts of the engine and weakens the head.
You should check the car once a weak to make sure the water level is okay.

Thank you Swayner, I have seen the light though and I think I have made the best decision ever by getting rid of it. It is gone! I got a Toyota Yaris (old, 2000) until I am ready to get a new car (well second hand: would not buy new). I used to have one years ago and although something could of course go wrong on that one, I feel I am taking a smaller chance!

Couldnt expect anyone ( Mechanic or layman, Dealer or not ) to stand over a job for 4 years !...

Actually...major work was done on the engine 2 years ago and the work carries a 5 year warranty! But not my pb anymore!