26 - 28 k car budget. which to buy?

steveyd

Hi,

What car would folks recommend with a budget of about 28k for a new or used car? would I be better to get a lesser new car, or a second hand better car( for eg, 4 year old 3 series) etc?

yep id agree...i want a Saab as my next car..they have become very popular and are really nice to drive...Parents currently have the new 1.9 Tdi engine one...lovely car plenty of power and high miles to the gallon

Saab has dull interior, very similiar to it's old models. for ecomony, good resale value, reliability - look at a year old Passat TDi new shape. Superb car. Unless of course you are blindsighted by badges!

Saab has dull interior, very similiar to it's old models. for ecomony, good resale value, reliability - look at a year old Passat TDi new shape. Superb car. Unless of course you are blindsighted by badges!

€28000 on a 2nd hand car? Are you mental?

Even worse, €28k on a new car? What a waste. Just go out and buy a €14k car and give me the other €14k straight away.

Car prices in Ireland are vastly inflated (we all know that), and the 2nd hand market is even more artifically inflated by the garages and dealers.

Take even €14 of your budget, check out the websites, and go on holiday or whatever with the rest.

Ronan,

To some a car is much more than a method of transport to get one from A to B.

This is not the dash of the comfortline model - its much nicer with a wood trim. Difficult to argue that the Saab is not a good/nice car - it is, I agree. But you will get a fresher Passat and it will hold it's value better (no doubts there). Plus, a passat will sell quicker, more demand as the Saab is a hight class car. A fresh A4 is also a nice buy - very solid reliable car and very good resale values.

I agree with smcgiff - a car is more than just a method of getting from A to B. Some people enjoy cars, spend alot of time in them and appreciate them. I'm one of these. Fair enough it will deterieorate, but it's more a question of spending your money on what's important to you.

Whackin - on the cooper - I'd stretch for the Cooper S - a mini with a super charger - wow! Incredible resale values on these also, but not practical for me with space :-(.

When all is said and done, you need to decide yourself. Get advice, sure, but go with a car you like and that makes sense for your lifestyle, and that you will enjoy!

Anyways, hope that helps.

have a ford mondeo 2lt tdci 115bhp. lovely lovely car to travel in, loadws of space, good on diesel.
only 1 problem sh1t trade in.
had a citreon c5 tdci in france fab car to drive, loads of extras- great trade in in france , cant give away here.
Drove a aventis didn't like it at all, also drove a passat thought i was geting a tank, didn't like in any way
so it depends on what u want

Hi,

What car would folks recommend with a budget of about 28k for a new or used car? would I be better to get a lesser new car, or a second hand better car( for eg, 4 year old 3 series) etc?

Don't buy new unless you've a wad of cash hidden in your matress from the belfast bank heist.

Depreciation is the real killer. Even on a prestige brand depreciation is running at close on 50% in the first three years.

If it's a car just for you I'd look at a Boxter, Z3, S2000, TT etc. If it's a car for you and the missus I'd go for a 3 series Ci (M if you're prepared buy old enough) and if it's a car for you, the missus and a kid or two look at the 5 series. If it's you, the missus, the kids, a dog and their nanny look at Audi's or volvo's.

As a foot note, you should be prepared to loose around 30% of your 28K over 2 years on any of the above with the exception of the Porsche.

Carzone will give you