2007 skoda fabia with 100000 miles on it-good or bad

anuj21k

Hi,

Just want to get views of car owners on: 2007 skoda fabia (new model hatchback) with 100000+ miles on it. Its on sale without warranty for 4.5K in Dublin has only 1 previous lady owner and full service history.
If I am thinking of buying this am I doing a big mistake?
I previously owned 7 yr old skoda with 90 miles on it and was more or less ok but I got it for 2k and got almost same when sold.

Just general view on skoda performance and problems.

Thanks

Massive mileage.....was it a sales rep or company car or something?

That's what is stopping me. The woman use to drive it down from Wicklow to Dublin every day thats the reason given apart from them looks good.

Is it the 1.2 petrol or the 1.4 or 1.9 tdi ?What spec ie air con ,electric windows rccl

For comparison,I recently bought a November 2007 fabia level 2 (climate control,electric mirrors and windows,alloys ) with 35000 miles from the north for €7200

1.2 petrol, A/c
If that's the 3-cylinder petrol engine it's a bit of a gas-guzzler even with A/C off.

If this is from a dealer, why is there no warranty?

I just realised it may be fitted with the newer 4-cylinder 1.2 TSI; I'm not sure of the switch-over date.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the Skoda interval is, but I'd say what I always say: check that the timing belt has been done ... if that big elastic band snaps it's game over. You'd be wanting concrete evidence.

I'd pay in the late €3000's for that car, in fact maybe more like 3.5k., considering if something(s) go wrong you're left with potentially expensive repairs. I'd be inclined to haggle on that point. Personally speaking, I'd be more inclined to go to the Auctions if you're willing to take that kind of chance ... you'll probably bag a car cheaper too.

Whilst hopefully not waffling, I would treat 'Sold as seen' and 'Trade sale' adverts with a touch of caution. You could end up with a bargain or a lemon. I learned this lesson the hard way. Both effectively mean you're buying a car that hasn't been checked / isn't guaranteed.

For example, If Mrs. Jones trades in her 2003 Focus for a new car and 30 minutes later Joe Bloggs walks in and is interested in her Focus, that's the scenario. The seller has not had a chance to vet the car so the buyer is taking it on that basis. That should be acknowledged in the price being lower than normal.

Just to follow up on Skoda themselves, I don't know an awful lot about them but two of my neighbours have had Skodas long term ... a 1994 Forman estate long ago, and more recently an '04 Fabia estate ... without any problems. Afaik they're a good car. Personally though, I'd echo what the other poster said about the mileage - regardless of make. I haven't even managed that in 10 years, and that's with lots of country runs!

I know someone with a 2001 Fabia Combi (petrol) with 174k miles on it. A bit rattly but drives ok.

i find the skodas a great car and the timing belt needs changing at 80 t0 90 kms i have and octavia and i got mine done for under 300 euro have it advertised on well known car sites but still cant sell it maybe because i have it on too cheap and it seems to good to be true ,all in all skoda is owned by VW and have many of the same parts as VWs and AUDIS

I've never had a problem with Skoda's, I've personally owned 3 Octavias and I found them to be great. 100k miles isn't a lot on a car these days, the full service history is the best thing here, at least it shows that the car was looked after, just check for worn links and bushings.