2007 Mondeo

dk99

Ford reveiled more details on the new mondeo yesterday. the ford.ie website now has an initial brochure available with some details on the spec's.

Anyone any thoughts. i think it looks really good and am waiting for them to come in so as i can have a closer look.

Does anyone know if the current model can take 2 baby seats and a child booster seat in the back. the new model is meant to be bigger.

The current model cannot take the 3 seats you mention. I think this is true for most saloon cars. We upgraded to an S-MAX as a result.

HArd to tell from the pics, but looks a little like the Audi 6 from the side?

Is "2 baby seats and a child booster seat" not 3 seats?

Doesn't the booster seat just sits on the car seat. It doesn't have sides like the baby seats and in my opinion wouldn't take up the same space as a baby seat.

The booster seat takes up nearly as much room as the the child seat and most booster seats do now have arms on them. Very few saloons can take the 2 baby seats and the booster seat and I doubt very much that the new mondeo will be able to do that either. I think it has the same chassis as the Volvo S40 and that certainly can't take them.

Just to be totally clear - I have tried fitting 2 Britax baby seats and a booster seat across the back of a 2001 Ford Mondeo (current model) and it does not fit. You need 3 full seats to do this properly. From what I can see saloon cars are on average 2.5 seats wide across the back.

Maybe the new Mondeo is wider, it does share the same chasis the Galaxy and S-MAX. Looks like a lovely car and if the present model is anything to go on it I'd be very surpirised if it's not class leading dynamically.

I believe the new Mondeo will be unveiled to the Press and Ford Main Dealers at The Heritage Golf & Country Club in Killenard ,Portarlington, Co Laois soon.I'm not positive of the date,but April/May was mentioned and surely it will be in the showrooms soon after.

Rang one of the FORD garages yesterday and they have the prices for the new mondeo - 1.6LX starting at 25K.

launch is June & 500+/- cars will be available straight away.

The 1.6 in the new model has the same power output as the 1.8 in the current model and hence they are not producing a 1.8 petrol.

Hve to admit that I am taking their word for it. By all accounts the 1.8 in the current model is more than enough so i presum the new 1.6 will be sufficent - Will have to wait till i get a test drive to confirm

The current 1.8LX has a 110bhp motor and is a bit lethargic tbh.

The Zetec has the same basic 1.8 engine but power is boosted to 125bhp and it's pretty good.

The new car will have a 1.6 125bhp variable valve timing engine, which should be well up to the task. The vvt concept enables it pull harder at lower revs, and it will be highly econonimcal at cruising speeds.

Good to know, I stand corrected.

For the size of the Mondeo you should be looking for 125bhp min. Impressive to see the 1.6 having this output. I'd wait to see the results of test drives all the same. My feeling with this class of car is that the diesel is really the better option these days.

Much Appreciated

Yes, but where the lower sized engines generally struggle in heavier cars is not so much outright power, which is achieved at max. revs, but a lack of torque at the bottom end especially.

That's also why a well developed 1.6D can comfortably pull a Peugeot 407 for example.

The new Mondeo's 1.6 petrol engine will have good power and torque outputs, and may be ideal for Irish conditions.

I'll get a drive in one pre launch most likely, so will let you all know.

May 28,29,30,31 the new Mondeo will be unvailed to Ford garage staff and The Press at the Heritage,Killenard,Portarlington Co Laois.

Me thinks me wants one

http://www.fordeumicrosites.com/mondeo/mondeo.asp?xml=en-gb