2004 Avensis 1.8 h/b (UK) for eur16,500. Good deal?

spinal_tap

After, ruling out pretty much every other marque out there, Mrs Tap has become quite drawn to the solid feel of the Avensis and has been offered a UK 1.8l hatchback (she waaaaaaay prefers it to saloon) with around 50k on the clock. The seller imports ex-fleet cars from UK, so she would have a choice of specs by the sounds of it. (Think it was a TS3 or something like that). All cars have Toyota-stamped histories.

1. Is around EUR16,500 a reasonable price for a UK import? (basic Irish ones seem to be 16-17k on average)

2. Are there any issues (other than salt damage) to watch out for on a UK car, and how do you check for this?

Also, for around the same price, she was offered a very highly-specced one (sat nav, alloys, etc, think it was TS4), but with 81k on clock. It had 7 Toyota service stamps, but I just thought very high mileage for an 04.

Any advice, suggestions?

HPI check it. Not sure on relative value but Avensis should be reliable, but boring.

I'd be temped to import my own car in your position. Mondeo's are excellent value in the UK, are also good to drive, and you'd get a good diesel for your budget.

She doesn't do enough mileage to justify a diesel. She'd rather a 1.6, but has found faults with pretty much everything else she's driven (from cosmetic to the handling) and the dealer only brings in the Avenis in 1.8l, and I certainly wouldn't be in a position to import myself.

TBH, I haven't seen anything else with as high a spec for that kind of money, and she likes the look and feels secure in it.

Can you check HPI from Ireland, and how much will it cost?

Hi Mr. Tap,

I bought an Avensis some 10 months ago. Admittedly, a boring car after driving a 2.3i Volvo 940 Turbo tank rocket, but, ultra reliable, solid build, surprisingly spacious (3 tall teenagers and an 11 year old ruled out a cramped BMW-3), big boot and substantially easier on the pocket. It's horses for courses as I have entered those years when college fees for my kids are starting and I am also changing career/going to college.

I was advised against importing an Avensis from the UK by a private mechanic and also a Toyota mechanic. the Avensis for Irish roads and market is supposedly slightly higher spec and has a suspension etc more suitable for our roads. Also, the salt is supposed to be an issue too. this may not bother you if you are not keeping the car long term, but, it may be worth while checking it out. If sterling-punt exchange had been better than 0.65 at the time I may have gambled!

Check out these 2004 prices...
http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/inde...=259&Year=2004&xYear=2004&submit=Find+cars+>>

Remember, if you have cash you can knock money off forecourt prices.

I'm not anti Avensis as such but feel that there is much better value out there.

This looks promsing if you must have an Avensis...http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=728266

This is a much better car however and just look at the price difference! http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=801228

She doesn't like the Mondeo at all.

Checked the Revenue calculator there and the car is "valued" at around 16,100eur.

Any opinions on the really high-spec 04 with 81k on the clock (mentioned in first post)?

Fair enough. Her choice. My point was it is a way superior car, and way better value.