2004 1.4tcdi Fiesta or 2002 1.4 petrol Corolla?

boogaloo

Am trying to decide between the 2.

I drive approx 15,000 miles a year.

The 04 Fiesta is diesel, according to parkers will give approx 64mpg, has air con, ncap rating of 4 (adult) stars. It is €8,000.

The 02 Corolla is petrol, according to parkers will give approx 43mpg, has air con, ncap rating of 4 also. It is €10,500.

Obviously the fiesta is a much smaller car, and toyotas seem to be pretty unbeaten in their reliability records.

Any other stats I should consider?

How many miles on the respective cars? Fiesta diesels are fine, and Corollas are Corollas.

I think there is approx 65,000 miles on the fiesta, versus 54,000 on the corolla.

Resale value of fiesta would obviously be lower - corollas are so expensive! I suppose you are paying for the reliability.

The diesel will be much lighter on fuel. After that it's horses for courses. Corollas are fine, but are pretty bland and dull to drive.

If your driving is on good roads I'd tend to go with the Fiesta btw. It's 2 years younger, and cheaper too.

RSK, I'd be driving on a mix of pretty bad roads (40%) and reasonable roads (60%).

Safety ratings appear to be the same on both cars, although the corolla did seem a bit 'steadier' on the road to me.

What about on long drives, would the roomier corolla obviously be an easier journey?

Any known common problems with either car at a certain age or mileage?

What about timing belt, when would it need to be done?

I suppose other option would be to look for a 1.6 diesel focus - how would that compare to either of the others?

thanks

RSK, I'd be driving on a mix of pretty bad roads (40%) and reasonable roads (60%).

Safety ratings appear to be the same on both cars, although the corolla did seem a bit 'steadier' on the road to me.

What about on long drives, would the roomier corolla obviously be an easier journey?

Any known common problems with either car at a certain age or mileage?

What about timing belt, when would it need to be done?

I suppose other option would be to look for a 1.6 diesel focus - how would that compare to either of the others?

thanks

The bigger car will ride better generally, due to it's longer wheelbase and wider track. Advantage Corolla.

Longer journeys, bigger car is more comfortable. Advanatge Corolla again.

Both cars are reliable. Ford dealers offer fixed menu serrviving, which is decent value. Not sure about tb's.

1.6 TDCI Focus is a better car than the other 2, and by a distance too imho. Good performance, economy, comfort, and a good drive too.

My wife had a 1.4 fiesta diesel found it very uneconimical for an oil burner

fiesta parts are very cheap to replace if anything goes wrong. I find that driving on bad roads in a fiesta make the wheels go off balance. One bad pot hole will throw off the balance.

Go and review both on honest john

Back