2003 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI...starter problems

K

Keganovich

I own a Ford Mondeo 2003 2.0 TDCI Zetec hatchback. There is now 122000 miles on the clock. The car drives very well and is very comfortable especially on long journeys.

Last year i developed a common problem with the 'dual mass flywheel' and it cost me 1,200 euro to fix it! The car ran perfectly after this for about 6 months.

Now i have a problem when i start the car in the morning. The starter is very sluggish and needs a few attempts to get going. Then the car smokes like hell for a minute or so. Then the car is jumpy for about half a mile and then it drives fine again and once wrmed up for the day is not too bad!!

Any ides on what is wrong now?

BTW - i have had the starter / heater / glow plugs replaced recently but this did not sort the problem!

Could be the injectors. Same happens to mine on a cold morning. I get a lumpy idle with smoke for a minute or so. The delphi injectors are notoriously termpermental on the mondeo. I've heard of a fuel treatment called BG244 or something like that which is supposed to clean them effectively. There is a thread on www.stdrivers.co.uk which goes into detail of the symptoms.

Back