2003 Avensis - Reliable?

kellyr4

After having a nightmare history of owning cars I am now going for reliablity with my next car purchase. I have had problems with my last 3 cars, VW Golf, Landrover Freelander and BMW 318.

I am interested in purchasing a Toyota Avensis as I have been told that it is one of the most reliable cars on the road, plus its not bad looking either. Not sure whether to go for the 1.6 or 1.8 lr petrol. Looking at probably a 03 or 04 model depending on the price.

So any opinions on the Avensis are welcome.

Check www.honestjohn.co.uk (car by car break down section)

and

[broken link removed]

If you are really concerned about reliability, there are are probably more reliable cars in the same class.

it's probably one of the most reliable cars in it's class being a Toyota
but
it's also definitely the most horredous looking one in the class. It's even bears Skoda in that

So if you could put up with the horrible looks and boringness, then it would be a good choice!

The looks of a car come down to personal taste.
04' Avensis, Passat, Mondeo, Accord, Superb, Sonata, Toledo, Mazada 6, Galant, 406, Vectra.

Thats about it in that class, and the Avensis is defo not the worst looking car in that class.

Volvo, Lexus, Audi, M.B. and BMW would be in the next class.

Kia, Fiat, Citroen, Renault in a lower class.

The looks of a car come down to personal taste.
04' Avensis, Passat, Mondeo, Accord, Superb, Sonata, Toledo, Mazada 6, Galant, 406, Vectra.

I think Avensis is easily the ugliest in that batch. Maybe old model Sonata can contend with it a bit but that's about it!

I think Avensis is easily the ugliest in that batch. Maybe old model Sonata can contend with it a bit but that's about it!

Nah - 406 easily!

But seriously, I think looks is the last thing on the OP's mind - his main, maybe even only concern is reliability.

In this respect, of those listed, only the Accord and Mazda 6 truly stand out.

according to most reviews an 04 Mondeo and Galant are pretty reliable as well, not much less that the Avensis I would say. Especially Galant.

I like the Avensis, plain but nice.

Prefer a diesel though.

Ask a taxi man which would he would buy.

Yes definitely reliable. Personally speaking I think it's a great looking car!

It'll be reliable ok, but it's a poor drivers car. Utterly bland and uninspiring.

Image driving a domestic appliance around? A fridge freezer would handle better however