2002 BMW E46 Annoying noises

JRD

Hi

My BMW 318 has a couple of noises that are really annoying I don’t have an ear for these things wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what might be causing them

Noise 1: Sounds like the groan of an iron gate opening or closing. It seems to be coming from within the dashboard and only really occurs when turning corners or going around roundabouts. Sometimes happens when going over speed bumps. It’s been going on for quite some time now.

Noise 2: Just started happening about a week ago. It’s a very high-pitched squeal when moving at a slow speed (under 20mph). As I accelerate it gets more and more high-pitched and eventually stops. Sounds like it's coming from the wheels. Presume it’s not the brakes as I’m not using them when the noise starts.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Noise 1 could be a Power steering pump (if it happens when stationary) or a wheel bearing (if it happens when moving)
Noise 2 could also be a wheel bearing or possibly sticky brake calipers not releasing when you take your foot off the brake pedal.

Noise 1 could be a Power steering pump (if it happens when stationary) check the level of fluid in the reservoir in the engine bay. It should have a steering wheel logo on the cap. top it up with ATF fluid; or a wheel bearing (if it happens when moving).
Noise 2 could also be a wheel bearing or possibly sticky brake calipers not releasing when you take your foot off the brake pedal. Does the car freely roll on a slight hill or does it seem like there is a resistance to roll?

I'd agree on both counts.

Simply the incorrect positioning of the calipers (by a mm or 2) can have this affect.

Noise 1 - Suspension or power steering

Noise 2 - Brakes - worn pads, sticking calipers or both

Thanks a million for the quick responses. Looks like my list of things to sort it getting longer.

Does the car freely roll on a slight hill or does it seem like there is a resistance to roll?

Pique; I've never noticed any resistance to roll but I'll check it out tonight.

Thanks again

Back