2002 BMW 520i M-Tec: things to watch out for?

M

Mallini

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at the above and thinking of taking the plunge !!! I've only taken it for a short test drive but would hope to get a longer drive in next week. It's a very clean car with a full service history, NCT until August 08 and 41k on the clock. The garage is not a BMW main dealer but will offer a 6 month warranty. Anybody familiar with the 520 ?? Anything to watch out for or problems down the line ??

Thanks in advance for any replies .....

Re: 2002 BMW 520i M-Tec

The E39 5 Series is generally a fantastic car and now that the E60 has been introduced a while prices are alot more keen. They are a good secondhand buy, I was tempted by an '03 525i M-tech myself a while ago. The 520i likes to be revved though but is still adequately powerful. It's a 2.2 litre 6 cylinder engine producing 170 bhp, the 520i nomenclature is misleading.

If you need any more info this should be a good place to ask: [broken link removed]

Check the following, they are common problems:
- rusting around filler cap, inside flap (pools water)
- lines missing on radio/CD display (try a few stations with RDS on to show the names)
- all items in toolkit (under bootlid), especially alloy wheel locknut key and towing eye.
- shimmy / slight wobble when braking lightly between 50mph and 60mph, I think this is worn arms / links on front suspension
- check front (and rear if fitted) cupholders "can holders", they are probably broken ( design fault) ... www.ultimatecupholders.com sell a good replacement, forget about replacing the BMW ones, they will break again, or worse spill tea all over the console.
- if it has a CD changer, bring a few CDs with you and test them on a bumpy road, prone to skipping, 400 for a new unit. Its on left hand side of boot inside the lining.
- there should be a first aid kit on the floor at the front of the passenger seat.
- you might find a torch (or charging socket for one) in the glovebox ... I think it was an option, easily got on ebay anyhow.
- see if you can get a test drive at night, if it hasn't got xenon front lights, you'll probably find the dipped beams terrible. Otherwise I'd recommend changing the dipped bulbs to Philips Extreme Power bulbs or similar (you won't need to change cables or anything else, just the bulbs). They make a huge difference on a wet night.

- Park distance control is very handy in these, and definitely something to look for.
- lift the rear seat cushion, you might find a build sheet, should show if its OEM m-tec or added on. (its not too easy to put back properly either by the way...)
- coolant change is due after 4 years I think, brake fluid every 2 yrs, should be in service history.

Thats all I can think of right now, they're a good all-round car. If its a sporty yoke you're after, it might be worth trying a 3-series. You'll pay similar money, but you'll get more car with a 520 if thats what you're after.

Hi there, I would still recommend replacing with genuine HID Xenon kit.
They cost arround 200euro, but makes a lot bigger difference then any painted philips or other pretend xenon bulbs as these come with converters.
Thanks

Back