2001 vw passat tdi creaky suspension

tulip

Hi, have a 2001 vw passat, which has 130k on clock. Thing is front suspension is very “creaky”, and it’s pulling to the left. I go the shocks’ replaced a month ago and although improved the handling it still is pulling and still creaking. Any suggestions’?

Yeah, you need to get the drop-links and the suspension and steering bushes checked and maybe replaced.

Did you have the rubber bump-stops and upper suspension bearings replaced? If not a good check is to turn the steering from lock to lock (with the engine running ;)) and if you hear a creaking / groaning noise, these are probably shot.

After you have the above checked / replaced, have 4-wheel tracking and alignment done to rectify the pull on the steering.

Yeah, you need to get the drop-links and the suspension and steering bushes checked and maybe replaced.

Did you have the rubber bump-stops and upper suspension bearings replaced? If not a good check is to turn the steering from lock to lock (with the engine running ;)) and if you hear a creaking / groaning noise, these are probably shot.

After you have the above checked / replaced, have 4-wheel tracking and alignment done to rectify the pull on the steering.

How are you fixed for a quick service. You seem to have a PhD in all things under a bonnet

How are you fixed for a quick service. ...

Ooohh you are awful, but I like you! :eek:
.. You seem to have a PhD in all things under a bonnet
Nah, just a VAG customer and having owned a number of their marques over the years, I learned about them and their little foibles the hard way.

I've passed it on - my beloved daughter has a Passat, my ex has a Golf.

God be with the days when I could afford my Subarus - I just gave them to my local dealer at service time and they came back with oil, brakes, clutches and tyres in situ and just worked with no sound effects or histrionics.

In my old age I've become a "new motorist", listening intently to my cars and helping them differentiate between their wants and needs. :)

thanks for that mathepac, is this a "big" job? have heard about drop links being needed to be replaced

Back