2001 4door V 2002 2door hyundai accent

coleen

Hi I am trying to buy a car.It is a straight deal as I am not trading in anything. I have been looking at hyundai as they are good value and fit my budget. I am down to 2 one is 2001 4 door with 50,000 miles nct done clean car with a cd player fitted as extra it is priced at 4.500 euro the other is 2002 hyundai but has onlt 2 doors and is 4.800 but for that money sales man is sayinf it wont be serviced as he is giving it to me so cheap and he says it will need a timing belt after 2000 miles which is better value 4 door serviced but a year older or newer car only 300 euro dearer. what are your thoughts! thanks

By the time you have given the second car its full service and Timing Belt change you may not have much change out of 1000 euro. Has the Timing Belt already been changed on the older car?

If you were to be reselling in 3 years time there will still be only about 300 euro difference in price between the two of them.

The older car has had the timing belt changed in feb this year and is also taxed until next may I am drawn towards the 4 door one. But I have been told by others it would be foolish to buy a car a year older for only a difference of 300 plus the 200 it will cost to put in a timing belt.

Given the Accent is probably the worst car anyone can buy you'd be mad to waste 5K on either of them.

Terrible to drive. Unreliable. Thirsty. Expensive to repair. Horrible to look at and the fastest depreciation of any car in it's class.

Walk away now....

Colleen,

I'm assuming the dealer that won't service the car is not giving you a warranty.....In fairness to Hyundai, they are improving but I would steer clear of them...Especially back in the early 2000's.....For the sort of money you are thinking of spending you could get yourself into a good solid Yaris, Micra or Polo....better still, if you are looking for excellent value for money the Skoda Octavia (VW built I think but VW engine as far as I know).......Tell me what you need in a car and I and hopefully some other contributors can come up with some suggestions for you to consider.

r2d2

I am just looking for a salon type car and would spend 5k just want a reliable car. I will not be doing high millage so any advice welcome. I had been told that hyundai were good value for money and reliable by independant mechanics two different guys. I agree they dont look great.

I'd suggest you consider a Skoda Fabia or Octavia depending on the size you want....You should be able to get into a 00/01 Fabia and you might squeeze into a 00 Octavia......Look up reviews on www.parkers.co.uk it will give you pictures and relative info

Best of luck...

r2d2

thanks for that this garage also has a skoda fabia for 5500 2001 also would you consider this a better buy? I am put off the hyundia a little

Definitely a better buy (in principal)....Is it a reputable dealer...Are they offering a decent warranty ? Skoda's had a dodgy reputation in years gone by....They suffered the same jokes as Ladas did ! Nowdays, they are VW's in all but badge...As long as the badge (or badge snobbery as it's often referred to) doesn't bother you then you're grand !

that wont bother me I just need four wheels that go round and round. It is a skoda dealer and has good name so should be ok thanks for all

The Skoda is a much better bet and you'll be able to sell it on when you're done with it!