2001-2004 Audi/Ford/VW Diesels

burger1979

hi all,

i am looking to buy a car in the next month or so and was am going to go down the diesel route. i have a rough budget of about 12K-15K to spend and was looking at the following cars

Audi A4 1.9Tdi 130bhp version
Ford Mondeo Zetec/Ghia diesel
VW Passat 1.9Tdi 130 BHP version
VW Golf GTi TD

I was wondering if anyone owns or has owned any of the cars above and if they can tell me the good and bads points of each. also in general peoples opinions of the cars listed above and if they can tell me of trouble areas in the above listed cars. in general i would be leaning to the german makes, but they seem to have hefty premiums for large mileages and over after looking it seems that i can get a later year ford for what i would pay for the audi/vw.

thanks in advance

burger1979

audi bought 2002 in 2003 1.9tdi will keep till it dies

has been very economical comfy powerful and generaly superb all rounder

5 yrs trouble free . go for audi will pay you back in spades

I have a 130 passat 2001 sport 6 speed with 105k miles on the clock now, have it knocking on 4 years now. Still goes like a train. Love it.

No major hassles to speak of.

Great car if I had sense I would do as mentioned above and drive it into the ground.

Had a 2004 A4 1.9tdi and it was a great car to drive and really economical on long journeys. Friends of mine in the country are getting over 50mpg in the right conditions. Only downside was very expensive main dealer servicing. Rear legroom is also not the greatest. The Mondeo or Passat would be better in that regard. The Golf is also a great drive but poor boot space may put some off.

It would be worth your while looking at importing a car from the uk, spec will be better, even after vrt you should still save quite a bit of money. you can also check vrt charges on www.vrt.ie , no affiliation

ccraig: i have been looking at importing a car from say cargiant or from a car supermarket in the north and there are some savings to be made but sometimes the amount of VRT that is worked out on the VRT calc is madness and even then that figure that you might have worked out online might not be the final figure that you have to pay could be more.

there are some fairly cheap mondeo's for sale in the uk that have a some high mileage on them (65-80K) wonder if it would be worth it???

also does anyone drive a 2.2 or 2.5 diesel and what sort of mileage do you get from a full tank???

burger1979

VAG 1.9 tdi is an old skool tractor. It's totally outdated, outmoded, and frankly agricultural. I drove one last year long distance (in a Passat) and the engine drone at high motorway speeds was terrible.
You can do much better than that engine wise. The newer 2.0tdi is much better for example.

those 2.0tdi units though are models from 2005 ( i think?) those audi's are a bit out of my price range. my friend has a 2001 1.9tdi Audi A4 and the engine is pretty noisy outside the car but its not that bad once your inside although i only drove it around the block a couple of times.

I'm getting about 600miles from a tank in my 05 mondeo st 2.2tdci. Average mpg on the computer is 45mpg or 52 on a good long spin.

BK001 - would love to get a 2.2TDCI mondeo i'd say goes pretty well and good return on the MPG front too. whats your journey every day?

If i bought a diesle in England or up the north and i imported it after July 1st would i pay the VRT on the new rules of VRT or the old ones?

thanks,

burger1979

If i bought a diesle in England or up the north and i imported it after July 1st would i pay the VRT on the new rules of VRT or the old ones?

thanks,

burger1979

Assuming pre 2008 reg.......New VRT rates and old Motor Tax rates

BK001 - would love to get a 2.2TDCI mondeo i'd say goes pretty well and good return on the MPG front too. whats your journey every day?
The performance is class for an economical motor. Its got 155bhp and 300 lbs of torque. My commute is about 40 miles a day, traveling at about 40mph, stuck in traffic for about 10 mins in the morning. Very few available in Ireland though.

yeah being looking fr one in ireland but no such luck. found one in england under £6499 GHIA X model. looks nice, but high mileage 74K for a 2005 model.

yeah being looking fr one in ireland but no such luck. found one in england under £6499 GHIA X model. looks nice, but high mileage 74K for a 2005 model.
That's not a bad price. 74k aint all that high ether for a diesel. Try and get a test drive off one. Its a noisy engine but it'll put a smile on yer face. Spend an extra few bob and get a bluefin upgrade. You'll have 190bhp to play with. Happy days

just as a different thought if any one drives a 1.6 petrol engine how many miles/km's do they get to a tank? lets say something along the lines of a ford focus and doing a commute of about 70 miles round trip. also how much would it cost to fill the tank.

thanks.

All depends on the make/model of the car, type of journey and your driving style. For a 1.6 focus doing a round trip of 70 miles on opoen road and assuming 'economical' drving style your should get approx 40mpg. Check out fuel saving tips here [broken link removed]

Think the tank holds 55 litres so 1.20 x 55 = 66 euro