2 routers in series

rob30

I am at my parents house and am trying to set up a wireless network.

My parents have an eircom phone line, and a desktop that connects via a USB, not an ethernet cable, to their nonwireless netopia router. It is a dell and I am amazed that i cannot find the ethernet connection

I also have a spare linksys wireless router, which i have successfully set up for this house, and it works independantly.

My problem is, my linksys wireless G router does not have a USB port, so my parents computer is now not connected.

Is there anyway of running them in parallel to get them to work together?.

I am aware that there can only be 1 router on at any time? Is it possible to turn the linksys into just a wireless transmitter, that runs through the netopia router? Or am i just looking at buying a router with ethernet, wireless and USB?

Thanks.

Try connecting the wireless router in bridging mode (i.e. forwarding Ethernet frames not routing IP packets) to the Netopia via a wired connection. Leave the netopia connected to the phone line and the Dell PC by USB. This way the DHCP requests from laptops coming in over the wireless router will be bridged through to the netopia. I have my own crumblies connection set-up in a similar way as they also have a Dell without an Ethernet port. The Netopia should work with simultaneous USB and Ethernet UTP RJ45 connections.

That has worked perfectly! Thanks! Now, if only I could do something about the thick old walls!

That has worked perfectly! Thanks! Now, if only I could do something about the thick old walls!

if you can move it up the attic , above the walls it might help... but depens on the layout of the house...