1st Gear Slipping on Mazda 6

lemeister

I have a 2003 Mazda 6 and I sometimes have a problem with selecting 1st gear. It normally happens either when the engine is cold or when I have been clutching a lot in heavy traffic and it feels as if the gear cogs haven't engaged properly with the drive shaft cogs and they are just skipping over each other (like the chain of a bike skipping over the cogs on the gear wheels). I've got a dealer and the garage I bought it from (Nissan) to check this out and both have said they couldn't find anything wrong. Anyone else had a similar problem with any car or shed any light on what it could be?

It's not unusual to have to double clutch at time like these. Maybe get the gear oil changed, Car is over three years old and when the bung is out
get the Mechanic to check for metal filings stuck to the top of the bung (it's magnetic)

I had a similar problem with a Mazda 323 a few years ago, selecting 1st was tough going......turns out there was some sort of hole in the gearbox??? not sure if this is the best way to describe it.....but basically the car required a new gearbox! It might be worthwhile getting the car checked by a mazda dealer?

Back