1st Car

Moffo

Will soon be looking for a 1st Car for my Son who is almost 19. Once a car has passed its NCT, is it still necessary to get a mechanic to check it out, like we used to do in the old days ! Would welcome any advice, also, what would be the most recommended starter car, something like a Polo, Corsa, Punto, Micra, etc. Thanks

I'd rule out Micra as he is a male and Punto because they're crap.

Corsa/Ibiza - something like that maybe. He would be grateful for anything I'm sure but it may be a relief for him not to get something perceived as being 'girly'.

However, if he doesn't care, all the better - the Micra (new one) is actually more enjoyable to drive (and more reliable) than those mentioned. Depends how much you want to spend.

If there is a reasonable length left on the NCT (over a year say) I'd probably risk it especially if the car is a generally reliable model in the first place.

I had a Punto and it was great, it was my first car and I loved it.

My brother had a Corsa when he first started to drive, a lot of the local 'young fellas' have Corsas. You can't really beat VW with their Polos too, very reliable.

I had a Punto and it was great, it was my first car and I loved it.
Then again, he’s a guy and you’re a girl.

You can't really beat VW with their Polos too, very reliable.
Polo’s have problems with their electrics (for example how many do you see with one break light).

The Ford Fiesta is a good car; I’d rate it higher than a Polo.
If you get the right Punto they are fine (if a bit tinny) but if you get the wrong one (most of them) they will break your heart.

My wife has had a Polo for past 5 years. Running as sweetly as when she bought it. No problems of any description.

When we were buying a second car, our local mechanic strongly urged me not to buy an Opel Corsa. He said they give a lot of trouble.

The Renault Clio is a nice car but little things can go wrong with them (mostly electrics) and parts are incredibly expensive.

The Ford Fiesta is very dependable but, if I had my choice, I'd only ever drive a Japanese car. I've had quite a few and they are extremely reliable.

Buy Japanese. Starlet/Glanza (NOT the turbo though!!! It may only say 1.3L on the logbook but that's a trick that many dodgy people use to get cheap insurance. ), Mitsubishi Colt is a cool enough looking car, Honda Civic (lots of street cred).
French cars(Renault & Citroen esp) may be cheap to buy but something will break on it. Even a simple engine sensor can cost over €100 to buy, ABS sensors (NCT failure items) can be €150 a pop...and they can go pop a lot. Peugeot 206s aren't too bad, but may be seen as girly too.
Italian cars are best avoided unless you're going to buy something practically new (doubtful for a first car), or unless he's a mechanic.

My advice is to buy a diesel. Easier to maintain, less electrics, more economical, less chance of him partaking in a traffic light GP, but bigger engine and so higher insurance.