17 leading business people submit blueprint for recovery

I guess this would be no bad thing. If it created the right incentives it might lead to us becoming wealthier.

I would be slow to make deeper cuts than envisaged in the four year plan without knowing for certain that the redirected resources immediately would be effective in stimulating the domestic economy.

Maybe he should offer his pension before offering his opinion?

Why should he...he's only claiming what he's entitled to. In the same way I wouldn't blame tax exiles from living off shore and I wouldn't blame people sitting on their rear ends instead of working....they're only all doing what they can get away with.

If there's a problem with with the set up then let's change the set up.

The pension that he and 'retireing' Ministers availed of bears little relationship to the standard public servant pension. Nissan Micra Vs a Bentley.

So which ones are fair and which ones aren't?

But government does not know what the right incentives are or what the right industries are? The housing bubble is a perfect example of how wrong government steered economic incentives can go.

"Stimulation" should apply ubiquitously across all industries and all companies through a reduction in the burden of government taxes. Basic economics dictates that lower taxation means higher profitability, and higher profitability means more investment, higher real wages, lower product prices and overall better more economic activity.

And since government does not have money of its own, any "investment" by government is simply analogous to taking blood out of one arm, spilling some, and then pumping it into the other arm, and then claiming the whole undertaking has benefited the patient.

Given Peter Sutherland is non-executive Chairman of Goldman Sachs, should he not declare his conflict of interest.

I wonder is there much mention of tax avoidance in their patriotic proposals?

What's wrong with tax avoidance??? It's completely legal. You'd have to be a clown to offer to pay more than you have to. If you choose to offer some of your hard-earned cash to a charitable organisation or give it away to what you feel is a needy cause then more power to your elbow!

Tax avoidance. Bring it on! Tax evasion. Stamp it out!

I wonder is there much mention of tax avoidance in their patriotic proposals?
What, like stopping people claiming their medical expenses?

Maybe if a few of them choose to pay their taxes in ireland and set an example to the thousands of others who don't. That might be more of a help.
Why should people who live, work and pay their taxes in another country also pay taxes here?
Do you think that the tens of thousands of Polish people who live and work here should pay taxes in Poland?

Why should people who live, work and pay their taxes in another country also pay taxes here?

I'm talking about people who clearly live here but spend the necessary number of days outside the country just to avoid paying their tax here. Of course its legal but that should change imo. Same inadequate rules that allowed developers transfer assets to their spouses to avoid paying what they owe.

I find it a bit much to be listening to lectures from the O'Brien's, the Desmond's and the Bono's of this world while they funnel their taxes elsewhere (legal i know).

These same people have large stakes in the irish media too so you hear very little about it. Plenty about leeching money out of ordinary people though.

Here's an idea; why not wait to see the report and judge it on its merits?

The one thing you're sure of with Peter S is that he is "connected"...

Good or bad - only time will tell, but I seem to recall a news articles saying that Goldman Sachs helped organize the $50Bn Greek loan and disguised it as a Sale fo Currency using derivatives.

Hardly playing fair or above board.

ONQ.

Would this be the same Denis O'Brien who " made or facilitated payments to Mr. Lowry of £147,000 sterling, £300,000 sterling and a benefit equivalent to a payment in the form of Mr O'Brien's support for a loan of £420,000 sterling" according to Moriarty? And would this be the same Dermot Desmond who O'Brien brought into the Esat Dodgyfone deal after "Lowry is reported to have told O'Brien that Esat Digifone was in pole position in the competition but warned him of concerns about the company's financial position"?

Nice company these people keep.