130km/ day- petrol or diesel? Upgrade existing car or keep?

cmalone

Looking for advice on what to do- have a 2nd car as above Volvo- we are sole owner- travel round trip c. 130km/ day

Any suggestions- had friend's diesel when they were on hols and noticed the fuel guage nearly never moved!

One other alternative would be to get train! 20 euro/ day or cheaper via Taxsaver scheme...

I'm guessing on an older Volvo petrol,you are spending close to €100 a week on fuel alone,plus tax insurance servicing tyres etc of maybe the guts of another 2k a year.If you can do without the second car,and the train times suit,that's the way I'd go.

I commute 100km per day, driving a 1.4 skoda diesel. Diesel costs me €40 per week, cheaper than public transport.

I commute 100km per day, driving a 1.4 skoda diesel. Diesel costs me €40 per week, cheaper than public transport.

As the OP is talking about a second car,which they could presumably do without,you can't really just consider the on-cost of fuel.

Ford Focus 1.4 Diesel will give you a good return for mileage also...

Need to weigh up the cost of the new car (or one since '08), & associated costs for running the car, e.g. tax, insurance, servicing, tyres, etc (plus a % for unknowns), versus the current cost of running the volvo...

Car costs

Thanks for feedback- very helpful
Agree re. Ford Focus- very good on fuel

Where would we trade in existing car or sell separate?

Also, see car rentals very cheap in these months- any views? like a 1.8 diesel for 65euro p/w with some of the discounters

Depending on the year / mileage on the existing car - you might not get much on a trade in... again, off set that with advertising, "showing" the car to potential buyers, will take time... Try some of the car sites on line (cgb.ie, autotrader etc) to see what your type car is selling for - will give you a good idea of how much to sell it at.

Car rentals may be cheap, but it's the "add ons" that cost the money ... scratch / dent / marks - and you'll be paying dearly for that (unless you pay for cover all insurance). If you using rental cars for a period of time, will that affect your own insurance if you do get rid of the existing car you have...