11% unemployment seems low concidering I know alot of people who have been let go..

pinkyBear

Hi Guys,
I must be one unfortunate person - because I know loads of people (in a family of four of us - my brother and sister have been let go from jobs ).. I have alot of friends from different industries whose jobs are at risk - including Mr. Bear.. or who have been let go... It just appears to me that the 11% the government talk about is very low!!! Given that approx 50% of my friends and family have been impacted - most of the jobs are high end - no builders or tradesmen.. All working in services..

Re: 11% unemployment seems low concidering I know alot of people who have been let go

Hi Guys, - no builders or tradesmen.. All working in services..
That might be part of the problem; in a downturn services are the easiest thing to outsource and can often be done without for long periods.

Re: 11% unemployment seems low concidering I know alot of people who have been let go

The 11% is not 'unemployment', it is those signing on, the 'Live Register'. Also, it's 11% of the total population, including olad age pensioners, retirees, Etc.. Oh, and public sector workers but we won't go there.....!

Welfarite, the 11% is unemployment, not those signing on. Also it is calculated from just the labour force, ie those in employment and those seeking work.

For the last quarter of 2008, Labour Force was 2,222,700, unemployment was 170,600 or 7.7%. (Total population over age 15 was 3,538,300)

The Live register for the same month was 260,300. That is the figure includes all those signing for credits, 3 day weeks etc.

So the current 11% unemployment represents 244,500 unemployed, versus a live reg figure of 372,800.

My mistake, thought it was LR figure not LF survey.....