10k to spend on a 1.4-1.6l 2003/2004 car

marcellaf

what should I go for?

currently driving an 11 year old Ford which has cost me an arm and a leg over the last 2 years with various bits and pieces (suspension or lack thereof seemed to be a big problem, dont know how many times I replace bushings, bearings, shocks).

What I want is a car that is very reliable, with 5 doors, preferably a hatchback. I plan on buying in the UK.

Possibilities are Toyota Corolla (but boy do they hold their value, bad for a buyer!), VW Golf, Honda Civic.

I don't want another Ford, and don't want a Fiat, Daewoo, Hyundai, Renault, Nissan or Opel.

I had hoped to switch to a small engine diesel but doesn't seem possible for the money I have to spend.

Will look at honestjohn website, are there any other websites that I should look at also for car reviews?

thanks.

Go to one of the large second hand showrooms and test drive everything in your price range (including newer Fords as they are a different animal to your one). Then pick the ones you like and do some homework on parkers etc.

I'd plump for a Corolla.......mine just sailed through the test today,did absolutely nothing with it,just cleaned it.great cars!

thanks for all your replies. Danone, do you mind me asking what year your corolla is?
I am really hoping to get a 2004, but will be lucky I think on my budget - VRT is a killer!

Have you thought about a Mazda? I found the two I got to be very reliable and a decent car. You may have to go to a 2003 but you shouldn't rule them out.

How about some Italian flair You should get an 03 Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 T-Spark Lusso for your budget. Vroom Vroom!
There's one on www.carzone.ie at the moment for €11,250

Have you thought about a Mazda? I found the two I got to be very reliable and a decent car. You may have to go to a 2003 but you shouldn't rule them out.

A new Mazda 3 will likely be my next car.