10ft ceilings - Any opinions?

apple1

Hi,
Currently finalizing plans for a bungalow and our architect has recommended 10ft ceilings? I'd appreciate any opinions from posters who have these or who have considered them & decided against. Some of my concerns are the wall height remaining above doors, how "short" looking pendant lights may look etc, how miserable any mouldingmay look etc. On the other hand, the rooms will be lovely & airy looking?? Confused apple1.

We went with 9 ft downstairs and 8 upstairs. We also had coving downstairs which really finished if off nicely.

Not sure about 10ft - seems a lot unless the rooms are large.

I find high ceilings very attractive. Keeping doors and windows in proportion is of course a factor.

I think you should go to a few houses with higher ceilings to see if you like them. 9ft is a little higher than standard, 10ft a good deal more so.

I find high ceilings very attractive. Keeping doors and windows in proportion is of course a factor.

I think you should go to a few houses with higher ceilings to see if you like them. 9ft is a little higher than standard, 10ft a good deal more so.

Most 'Red Bricks' in Dublin will have 10ft ceilings. Larger Georgian houses have 12ft or even 16ft.

Towger

I opted for 9ft ceiling due to my window design (the central Georgian bay window is an arch thus the top is 8ft high).
You will have to ask your architect why he is opting for 10 ft ceilings…especially when you have to try and heat the room!

Hi,
Currently finalizing plans for a bungalow and our architect has recommended 10ft ceilings? I'd appreciate any opinions from posters who have these or who have considered them & decided against. Some of my concerns are the wall height remaining above doors, how "short" looking pendant lights may look etc, how miserable any mouldingmay look etc. On the other hand, the rooms will be lovely & airy looking?? Confused apple1.

We have them upstairs and downstairs because we like the feeling of an airy room as you say - we haven't regretted the 10 fts . We put picture rails downstairs in each of the reception rooms and brought the ceiling colour down to the rail which " breaks " the wall. It's no bother getting fittings to look right, some older houses have much higher ceilings - naturally though there are space heating implications of higher ceilings .

We have 10ft ceilings in our (Edwardian) house. It creates a great sense of space and tranquility... the rooms never seem cluttered or in a mess because proportionately there is more free space. If the architect is worth his or her salt they will have considered the proportions- go for it.

Look good , open up the room all right, bit of a nightmare when you want to change a light bulb though( unless you've got wall mounted lights)

Find out how much extra per year you will have to spend on heating. WRT the added peace and tranquility that the extra height creates, ask when was the last time you noticed the ceiling height of any room you've been in.

Is your architect paid on a percentage of build price? If so the extra couple of inches means extra € on the bottom line

High ceilings are definitely worth it in my opinion. Makes for a fantastic feeling of spaciousness. Sure, it's more expensive to heat so put plenty of insulation into your build, which you should be doing anyway.

Back