1024MB or 2048MB Memory

zoe

With the Dell Vostro desktop I have the choice of the following two memory sizes (not the hard drive);

1024MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]

2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]

I was thinking of the first smaller one.

What would I need to be using the PC for to justify the larger size? I suppose the PC would have to be used for games, maybe?

edit: I'll be using Windows XP Professional

Yeah games, or anything with a big graphics demand (some software) or lots of music can use up memory. Unless you have any special requirements you'll probably find that 1024 is enough.

If the PC will be used for new games, and you want to keep the PC for a while, go for 2048. Saying that... I have 1024 on my laptop and it runs very smoothly.

What's the price difference between the two?

There's a difference of €72.60

I don't think that €72.60 is a big difference, and with the overall cost of the machine - it's not a lot either.
I would pay the difference - but that's me.
I run an XP Pro laptop on ~1.5MB and I have heavy duty software running on it. My machine would be under pressure at times.

The Dell Vostro costs € 458.09 inc a 22" widescreen monitor with 1024MB memory, and € 530.69 inc a 22" widescreen monitor with 2048MB memory.

XP will run fine with 1024MB but if money was an issue I'd try to get it as 1x1024 as, if there are only 2 RAM slots, it will be cheaper to upgrade to 2048 if required in the future.

I just contacted Dell and they informed me it comes with 4 DIMM slots where the RAM can be upgraded.

Thinking about it, I suppose if I purchased the PC with 1024MB and I found that I did need 2048MB it would still work out cheaper just purchasing the extra 1024 MB, or 2x512 MB (on eBay for example) rather than having purchased it from Dell for the additional €72.60

Would this be right?

Be careful when buying memory as it can be difficult to ensure that what looks like compatible memory actually works with a specific machine. I tend to stick to the likes of Crucial and Kingston because while they may be dearer than eBay etc. they offer a money back guarantee if memory that they suggest as compatible turns out not to be. €70 for 1GB doesn't sound outrageous to me so I would probably go for it now unless stuck to a strict budget.

I'd agree with Clubman - for the sake of €70 it's worth getting it now. Also saves the (little bit of) hassle of opening the tower in a couple of months to put in extra memory. Here's something similar (probably not the same as Dell use) on Komplett:
[broken link removed]

I purchased a windows vista computer lately & it runs great. It has 1024 memory (plus 480M readyboost usb key) & task manager shows about 64% physical memory usage. This argument about staying with the older operation system or service pack versus newer occours biannually and I can recall my firm insisting that w95 be fitted on computers rather than the unstable 98 (First edition).

Back