1000 pixels

He has done fabulously well, i've been following his progress now for quite a while and it still amazes me.... it's one of those "why did'nt I think of that" ideas.

I thought that [broken link removed] explained it quite well. Stupid idea. Fair play to him. :)

Apparently he has gone over the $1m mark. he put the last pixels on ebay for bids.

More info
"There have been major developments with the original Million Dollar Homepage.

Tew, of course was the hard-up student who launched the page with a view to selling its million pixels to advertisers at $1 each in order to pay for his education. Viral marketing and sheer dumb luck meant the whole thing snowballed and just five months later, or so, Tew is nearing his endgame.

But there's a twist.

Realising there was scope to squeeze even more money out of the site, Tew exploited the incredible clamour for pixels on his page by putting the few remaining pixels on eBay for one final hurrah. They were no longer $1 each. The auction for the final block of pixels closed this week for more than $38,000.

Ka-ching! Ring it up!

The Round-Up doesn't actually object to Tew squeezing the pips of his page until they squeak - that's just good old-fashioned capitalism - but the whole thing is tainted by a number of issues.

The most obvious is the fact Tew has now dropped out of university - or at least 'deferred his degree' (perhaps they'll see him again when the money runs out).

Having launched the site, declaring very publicly that he was doing so in order to pay for his education, it seems a little shameful that he has now 'deferred' his degree in order to pursue other avenues and take stock of the offers which have come in.

(If nothing else, does he not realise just how much attention he'd get on campus with $1m in his pocket? The man would never sleep! And $1m buys a lot of snakebite and black.)

Writing on his blog, Tew explained he quite reasonably never expected things to explode in the way they have.

"I thought, if I aim high and only get a small percentage of that figure, that would still help me out a great deal. I never expected the site to reach the level of success it has done, not to mention the positive 'side effect' of all the additional opportunities that have arisen as a result."

Whoever would have thought money and fame could change a person? (OK, all of us.)

And to be fair to Tew, he appears to be handling it very well.

His blog boasts that this week alone he has done a photo shoot with Getty Images and an interview with his new best friends Richard and Judy.

Tew explained for those outside the UK: "Richard and Judy are effectively known as the king and queen of daytime television here and are famous for their relaxed, friendly style of presenting."

Really? The Round-Up thought they were famous because she accidentally exposed herself on live TV and he was arrested and charged with shoplifting bottles of wine from Tesco in the mid-90s.

But what does the Round-Up know? (Other than the important legal detail that Madeley was found completely innocent and acquitted of all charges, dear lawyers.)

Still, it's refreshing to see that Tew has not distanced himself so far from his student lifestyle that he no longer builds his days around Richard and Judy and daytime television."

The above is from [broken link removed]

C

Back