10 Year construction guarantee

colin79ie

When I purchased our house, we were informed that there was a 10 year construction guarantee with the house. It is not homebond, but I cannot find any paperwork or anything which has this info on it.

Does anyone know of such a thing or where I might find info on it?
Do builders have to guarantee construction for this period anyway?

Is there nothing with your deeds (with the lender if still mortgaged)?

I seem to recall there being at least one other "Homebond" style scheme but bear in mind that these schemes only cover serious structural problems which the builder will not put right. I believe that it can be very difficult to get things done under these schemes and they are certainly no substitute for normal buildings insurance cover as some people mistakenly assume.

Do you have a specific problem right now? If so what is the nature of the problem?

Update: maybe this is relevant?

Registration fees are based on the floor area of the dwelling and are charged at a tiered rate depending on the duration of the builder's membership of HomeBond.

An alternative scheme, is the Premier Guarantee, which is a Structural Insurance Scheme managed by insurance brokers Coyle Hamilton Willis. It provides structural defect cover for full costs of repair to any one housing unit up to €200,000 and €2,000,000 in respect of apartment buildings – index linked without additional cost and at a multiple of the HomeBond scheme.

Back