10/12k mileage per year — petrol/diesel?

fredg

hi all,
i do roughly 10 to 12k each year so
im wondering if im mad to consider a diesel.
im buying an octavia.
thanks.

Re: 10/12k mileage per year — petrol/diesel?

thanks for that.
can someone explain FSI in petrol cars?

Hi Fredg, The only real difference in the FSI is it can change its running mode automatically. If you needed full power as in taking off or carrying a full load then the engine will run on full power like a normal petrol engine but leaner and if the car is cruising or stuck in traffic and doesn't need full power the engine can change the fuel/air mix so the car runs alot leaner. VW reckon it can save alot on fuel so basically all that FSI means is there will be more money in you pocket!!!!! Try googleing FSI or look up Volkswagen Group, you should come up with more detailed explainations. BY the way if you are only doing 10 -12k a year I'd stick with petrol. Remember Road tax will be dearer in the 1.9 than the 1.4 diesel and also diesels are not much cheaper to maintain. They can be more expensive if injectors start to give trouble. To be making a saving on diesel you would need to be doing 18 - 20k a year. hope this helps.

Aidomoss thanks a million.
very helpfull advice and sounds very practial.

Why not consider one of the new 1.6 Ltr Diesels to combat the road tax issue. Injectors should not need attention for at least 80,000 miles. Diesel is usually cheaper than Petrol, except in during those temporary Middle East problems, and I'm told that the 1.6 Diesels are doing 60+MPG, as well as being more enviromentally friendly than petrol cars.

Fred, I was working out the exact same figures about 2 weeks ago and funnily enough, I used the new Octavia as an example.
I still have the spreadsheet I used and I put in your mileage and this is what it produced. Also depends on the difference in the litre you pay for diesel or petrol, but I based it on my local garage that charges 3c more per litre for petrol. Calculations also based on the combined fuel consumption quoted in the brochure for the Octavia.

If you buy the 1.6FSI petrol over the 1.9TDi diesel, you will pay an additional €394/yr in fuel costs. The petrol car is €1105 cheaper than the diesel, so it will take you 2.8yrs to break even.

If you buy the 1.6MPI petrol over the 1.9TDi diesel, you will pay an additional €590/yr in fuel costs. The petrol car is €3110 cheaper than the diesel, so it will take you 5.9yrs to break even.

Above calucualtions do not take into consideration the road tax differences between the different cars or servicing costs, which with a bigger diesel engine, could increase the length of time to break even.

I suppose it all depends on how long you plan to hold onto the car.

my god tosullivan,thats a very precise survey and very interesting.
i guess it goes to show why diesels are more expensive.i take it octavias dont have a 1.6 diesel?im sure not but can you confirm?
thanks.

also,
is the survey based on the rrp of car?
if so its not entirely accurate,
garage told €1500would be knocked
straight off cost of 1.9tdi rrp??
fredg.

also,
is the survey based on the rrp of car?
if so its not entirely accurate,
garage told €1500would be knocked
straight off cost of 1.9tdi rrp??
fredg.
Fred, all prices are based on the brochure price. I'm sure there would be a similar discount on the petrol units. The prices differences are based on the Octavia Estate as this is the only price list I requested and not the hatchback, but I imagine they would be similar.
Octavia diesels only come in 1.9 & 2.0

I would take the FSI over the MPI petrol any day, but to say I'd take the 1.9TDI over the FSI petrol, I'd have to say I probably would. Chances are I will probably buy a new one and keep for about 5yrs, then it would be financially better to take the diesel even though I'd only be doing 10k miles/year, the re-sale on the diesel would be much better after 5yrs

so tosullivan
your going for the diesel octavia,correct?
thanks for your help,diesel seems the way to go even if
its more expensive initially.
thanks.

so tosullivan
your going for the diesel octavia,correct?
thanks for your help,diesel seems the way to go even if
its more expensive initially.
thanks.
Haven't decided 100% yet what I'm going for, but the 1.9TDi Octavia Estate Elegance with cruise control is one on the short list along with 5 or 6 other cars. All really depends on my budget in the new year and what I can get for my own car.

Back