09 Ford Focus in for repairs (1,650 repair costs) what to do?

WGT

Hi,
Starting to think it's time to trade up as it's hard to justify the repair cost for a 15 year old car but I'm not ruling it out.
Luckily I have funds to purchase a good/very good car, but would prefer to spend money elsewhere.
I guess best option is to buy outright in cash or are there any prudent 'half-way house' alternatives.

Any thoughts welcome.

WGT

You could find out the scrap value of your car. There are some online car recycling crowds that will quote you based on your number plate and location.

But my opinion is that older cars do not have as much electronics on them as newer cars and that is a major plus for them.

Also the emission standards are not as strict as newer cars in the NCT. So easier to keep an older car going for longer.

You probably won't have a car worth scrap value plus €1650 if you do get the repairs done but if you get another few years out of your car it will be money well spent.

You could find out the scrap value of your car. There are some online car recycling crowds that will quote you based on your number plate and location.

But my opinion is that older cars do not have as much electronics on them as newer cars and that is a major plus for them.

Also the emission standards are not as strict as newer cars in the NCT. So easier to keep an older car going for longer.

You probably won't have a car worth scrap value plus €1650 if you do get the repairs done but if you get another few years out of your car it will be money well spent.
Thanks garage that currently as the car is offering 235 for scrapping the car. Seems a bit harsh.

Yes I was thinking about €200 or €300.
But without spending the €1650 your car is probably a non runner?
After spending the €1650 would your car be worth €1885?
It might be to you but maybe not to a potential buyer.

Reactions: WGT
So basically if I spend 20k on a newish car I'll be setting myself up for potential costs of fixing electronics?
Potential yes, but it's not like those of us with newer cars have them in for repairs on a regular basis!

On newish cars, any common issues should be well known so some research on Honest John and the likes of the Warranty Direct reliability index should help you steer clear of models more likely to have issues.

So basically if I spend 20k on a newish car I'll be setting myself up for potential costs of fixing electronics?

I agree with Leo's post. See what is reliable out there.
Also maybe something with warranty cover. There are some car brands offering multi year warranties.
Also I would be wary of buying a diesel car unless you are doing huge miles.
Modern diesels have got extremely complicated in order to pass Euro 5 & 6.

What repairs are needed?

Is this a main dealer quote?

Have you gotten other quotes?

Has car been a reliable runner up to now?

All very important questions, and a big influence on the keep it out dump it, question, imho.

If it's been near trouble free to date, then I'd be leaning towards keeping it.

Don't be lured in by the salesmen, do what's best for your personal circumstances. That €1,650, even if it can't be reduced, will disappear just as quickly, and probably more with it, if you buy another car (dealers profit, day 1 depreciation, call it what you will :)).

I've an old car, which I keep service etc. It's let me down twice, in almost twenty years. Its a very cheap car, even when expensive road tax etc. is built it, and I only put about 6,000 kms per year on it, so I'm no hurry to change it.

It's impossible to answer this question meaningfully without more details about the car and its owner, eg current mileage on the car, annual mileage, has the car been reliable to date or is this the first major item to go wrong, has it consistently been serviced by a good mechanic, what their opinion is.

My guess is if something big goes wrong with a car that old, other things are also likely to go wrong.

What repairs are needed?

Is this a main dealer quote?

Have you gotten other quotes?

Has car been a reliable runner up to now?
Clutch + flywheel, brake pads, shock absorbers, a few leaks. (not the veg :))

Not a main dealer - local garage repairs.

No - car won't move. Had to get it towed and as per insurance policy have to wait for 28 days to get another free tow.

Got 2009 car in 2013, british import, for 3 years had all sorts of issues, car used to come to a shuddering halt, in limp mode, intermittently, went to Ford in Clondalkin, they done diagnostic and said it was fuel injectors, so got those replaced. Was fine for a few years, then same thing again, driving along and it would come to a shuddering halt, in limp mode. Finally a friend of a friend's garage guy looked at it and said the issue was in the 'software' or 'brains' of the car. He done something with it and little or no problems now in 5 or 6 years. Seems as if the 'software' was telling the immobiliser to kick in. In short, the 'brains' of the car was sending the wrong signal to the engine. Was a new one on me, but as they say, the proof of the pudding ...

It's impossible to answer this question meaningfully without more details about the car and its owner, eg current mileage on the car, annual mileage, has the car been reliable to date or is this the first major item to go wrong, has it consistently been serviced by a good mechanic, what their opinion is.

My guess is if something big goes wrong with a car that old, other things are also likely to go wrong.
current mileage: 145k miles approx
annual mileage: 8k miles per year (at the very most, could be 5k miles)
realibality question :
Got 2009 car in 2013, british import, for 3 years had all sorts of issues, car used to come to a shuddering halt, in limp mode, intermittently, went to Ford in Clondalkin, they done diagnostic and said it was fuel injectors, so got those replaced. Was fine for a few years, then same thing again, driving along and it would come to a shuddering halt, in limp mode. Finally a friend of a friend's garage guy looked at it and said the issue was in the 'software' or 'brains' of the car. He done something with it and little or no problems now in 5 or 6 years. Seems as if the 'software' was telling the immobiliser to kick in. In short, the 'brains' of the car was sending the wrong signal to the engine. Was a new one on me, but as they say, the proof of the pudding ...

Wouldn't say it's been serviced consistently by a good mechanic.

Another factor is that I've been off the road since July for medical reasons and will be until July 2025. So don't need to rush any decison.
Would typically need it mostly for work but also wife is currently doing all the kids stuff and chauferring duties.

If it were me and car was reliable like this I'd pony up and have it repaired.

I bought a 3 year old car and flywheel went.

It will need regular annual service ....all cars do, you can only be lucky for so long if you don't.

Had the same question with my 2010 diesel car recently. Owned from new, serviced religiously every 10k, 350k km on clock, NCT emissions practically zero but it needed >2k worth of work recently (timing belt, water pum, clutch, flywheel, brake discs, rear chassis and a few other bit & bobs). It has never missed a beat and still getting 1100kms to a tank, comfortable to drive.
My independent mechanic thought I was mad to spend big on it but I figured I'd loose more in depreciation alone if I stumped up for a newer car.

Rang another garage for a quote on repairs. He's actually the one I usually go to.
At the time of towing the yard was closed.
I went through the itemised list with him and he couldn't work out why it was €1,650, he said he knew my car and it could easily get another 3 years out of it and he could do all for €1,100 if not less.
I trust him from previous experiences with him.
He laughed that they were charging €50 for brake fluid.
He wouldn't even charge for that.

Rang another garage for a quote on repairs. He's actually the one I usually go to.
At the time of towing the yard was closed.
I went through the itemised list with him and he couldn't work out why it was €1,650, he said he knew my car and it could easily get another 3 years out of it and he could do all for €1,100 if not less.
I trust him from previous experiences with him.
He laughed that they were charging €50 for brake fluid.
He wouldn't even charge for that.

Will he come and collect it from the current garage, for you (at reasonable cost?)?

Assuming he will, I think I'd get him to do the work on the car,and keep it.

Get a breakdown of the repairs then call in to other mechanics and show them what needs to be done saying you've been quoted €1,300 and are looking to have it done cheaper.

I'd be amazed if you didn't find someone who would do it for €1,200.

Regardless, if it's been a good car up to now, I'd repair it. You can always sell for at least €1,000 after a year.

Edit: Just noticed you got a quote for €1,100 or less....happy days.

Repairing an old car is almost always going to be cheaper than the depreciation and interest on a new or newish car.

Only time it's not going to be worth it, is if the car is unreliable or the repair bills keep coming, or the car no longer suits or you just tired of it and want to change.

The repairs needed seem to be normal wear-and-tear and can be expected to occur at that age. If you’re otherwise happy with the car, I’d be inclined to keep it. If you can get another couple of years out of it, you’ll be quids-in relative to the amount of depreciation on a much newer model.

Better the car you know to be reliable than going for anyting in the same cost bracket. Knowing your car's history is worth a lot when it goes to cars that age. It is hard to know when to give up on a car you intend running into the ground, but I don't think you've hit that yet. All the jobs described (bar the leaks) are probably actually lasting their intended lifetime and would need replacing anyways.

Back