08 Passat - Service Message

Westgolf

Hi all,

My 08 passat is showimg the following message on the dash display " service in xxx miles or xx days" every time I start the car. It is a diesel model with the longlife (?) service program installed apparently. Cant find any info in the hand book, can anyone shed a little light on the problem please ?

Westgolf

It means your car is due for a service! I am guessing because it's 2 years old as this would likely override the mileage if it hasn't reached the required amount. Other than that then maybe it has the shorter service programme.

It can only be rest by the garage or some mechanic who has the computer to do it I think. Call the service department of any VW garage and ask them.

I've had a few Passat's and have always found this very annoying. There is no info in the hand-book and I've always had to have the car serviced to get rid of this message. Apparently this is a way around it....

With the key sitting in the ignition but NOT on (not even accessories...the key is in in there but literally just about to fall out) push and hold the wrench button. Count 5 seconds, start the car while still pushing the wrench button and then push the min button on your clock. You must be holding the wrench button and the min button at the same time to reset the service message. To test if you've reset properly, turn the car off and start it again. If you've reset properly the 'SERVICE NOW' will not appear and is automatically reset for 5k miles. The wrench button is on the R/H/S of the trip reset button.

08 passat service message

Hi notagardener,

thanks for that, will give it a try tomorrow

westgolf

Whats the point in resetting the service indicator when the car obviously needs servicing.

Whats the point in resetting the service indicator when the car obviously needs servicing.

The cars don't obviously need servicing, this feature on the VW is only an indicator (inputed by the VW service people) to estimate the next service due date based only on the distance travelled by the car . The distance a car travels is just one of many factors used to determine a car's next service due date

The cars don't obviously need servicing, this feature on the VW is only an indicator (inputed by the VW service people) to estimate the next service due date based only on the distance travelled by the car . The distance a car travels is just one of many factors used to determine a car's next service due date

The VAG longlife program is variable interval with a maximum limit of 30000km/2 calendar years (note that VW now seem to only "recommend" longlife servicing if the car is used under certain conditions). The service indicator comes on when these limits are approached or the computer calculates a lower distance travelled due to usage pattern and oil quality.

As others have said, and in the absence of any information from the OP about the car having an interim service but with someone forgetting to reset the interval, we're guessing that this 2008 car is reaching the 2 year limit for longlife servicing. It could also have reached 30000km or simply be due a service.

Only a garage with the correct diagnostic equipment can reset the indicator onto the longlife schedule (although I think you can buy programmers on eBay). If you follow the reset procedure from the handbook this will only reset to the fixed (15000km I think)/1 year schedule.

Op - has the car ever been serviced? If not it's due for one soon. Don't just reset the indicator, the oil will be like tar by this stage.

SSE

08 passat service message

Hi all

Sorry I should have said originally that the car has been serviced, not by a vw outlet, but by the same firm that has serviced all our family cars for the last 10 years. I service the passat annually according to the milage that Im doing and to be honest the message is just a pain in the ass which only serves to bug me. The current mileage is approx 32200 or so so it may be the presets kicking off. due to work / weather I haven't got a chance to try earlier posters suggestion but I see from todays post that this may only move me back to the 15000 service mark

Westgolf

Hi all

Sorry I should have said originally that the car has been serviced, not by a vw outlet, but by the same firm that has serviced all our family cars for the last 10 years. I service the passat annually according to the milage that Im doing and to be honest the message is just a pain in the ass which only serves to bug me. The current mileage is approx 32200 or so so it may be the presets kicking off. due to work / weather I haven't got a chance to try earlier posters suggestion but I see from todays post that this may only move me back to the 15000 service mark

Westgolf

Good stuff then you should be able to reset the indicator to the fixed service schedule with a clear conscience - I think this is 15k km which corresponds to the old 9k miles which is the interval my Audi is on now - I service it yearly anyway so if it crops up before it's due I just reset it again.

SSE

Back