05 VW Golf-1 Yr guarantee near end

Delboy

Hi

bought a 2nd-hand 1.4lts golf last yr and got a 1yr guarantee from the garage that sold it. I've not got a service yet on it and am wondering should I get a full service done, identify any problems and go back to the seller to resolve before the year runs out. Would the seller have to fix all and sundry that the service may throw up as being a problem?

Also, would it be best to go to a VW dealer to get a service which would identify any problems, or can a local garage give me the same quality of service and info?
thanks

Two things -- A car requires a service at least once a year and secondly is that if you don't go to a Main Dealer for a service, they might not honour the Guarantee.

I'm aware that car needs a service every year but I guess my questions are:
is it worth shelling out extra to a main dealer to get a service that may show up more faults than a regular dealer
and
what would a guarantee normally cover. If there is a problem found with teh gear box for example, can I go back to the seller and ask him to pay for it's repairs
(i would only have done about 12k kms in the past 11 months since getting the car)

and
what would a guarantee normally cover...
I suppose the simple answer is to look at the guarantee form the seller gave you.

"Normal" guarantees would cover engine, drive-train and gear-box (but not the clutch) and exclude service parts (fluids, tryres, brake parts, battery, stereo, trim) and world exclude wear and tear, but any guarantee could be voided if the car isn't maintained by the owner in an appropriate garage.

Back