04 Golf 1.4

tweety07

I am thinking of buying a 04 1.4 Petrol (Base) Golf and have been advised against same. Can someone who is in the new please help me out.

I have been told that 1.9 Diesel Golf is the only way to go as there are too many things that go wrong with the petrols and they cost you a fortune in repairs.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 1.4 VW Golf and have no problems with it. VW are too good a car to be selling a dud.

As Petermack says, diesel is only worth it if you are doing high mileages.

i agree with above.but u can check all the comments/review re VW Gold on
cbg.ie
honestjohn.co.uk

maybe if u switch from a smaller engine car to a mid size engine car that u experiencing more expensive runnig cost. thats what happened to me when i changed my car.
good point a VW Golf hold its value well, solid and safe

Nothing wrong with the 1.4 except for it is very down on power. It only has 75bhp which isn't enough power to pull the skin off a banana.

The opel astra and renault megane (cars in the same class) have 1.4 engines which produce ~95bhp and have the same fuel economy.

Personally for me it would have to be a 1.6 FSI or a 1.9TDI...

The thing about the 1.6 is that irish people don't want the higher tax or insurance so it may be harder to see on. There shouldn't be any problem selling on a 1.9 TDI, pretty well sought after...

I've had a number of Golfs. Currently driving a 1.9 Tdi.

Last Golf I had in Ireland was a 1.4 Comfortline. Never had a moments bother from it but it was a complete dog in terms of being under powered. It also rolled very badly and, no, the shocks were fine. Had them checked. Apparently it was sold that way, set up for Irish driving preferences.

My current Golf is the 116bhp diesel version and it truly is a pocket rocket. Beautiful car to drive and VERY rarely gives trouble. Even when it does it's an easy fix. In 5 years I've changed the Air Flow Mass Metre (on purchase) and got a steering rack changed (bumped it off a bumpy kerb and holed it). Have a small issue with it running-on after the ignition is switched off at the moment but I'm sure that, too, will be easily fixed. The mechanicals of the diesel are bullet proof.

Diesel for these cars, and I've had 4, is the only way to go. The petrols, except for the 1.8T are under powered IMO.

Am looking for a gearbox for said car, not one to be found,seems to be a problem, no second hand anyway, re-con is the only option now unless some of ye know where I can get one. Oh and If you get one and emissions workshop comes up on dash, get it to workshop immediately or you will be left stranded,

You could try a scrap yard. If you root around enough your sure to find one. The North could be a good bet. Those guys scrap cars more readily than we do down south.

Also that warning light is not only applicable to the gearbox. Mine showed the same warning, I seem to remember, for a blown Airflow Mass Metre.

The VW 1.4 engine is a very old engine that's been used through many models through the years. This is the same engine as in the 1.4 Seats and Skodas. One of the reasons that it is still around is that is has been very dependable.
However it is low on power. VW have spent alot of money on their newer engines, the FSI and TSI petrol engines which delivers more power with better economy, and their diesel turbos which have been around for longer have proved successful delivering both good power and economy. The new petrol 1.4 TSI is 'european engine of the year' delivering 170bhp. the new scirroco when it comes out in the next couple of years will have a 1.4 with 210bhp! Sorry for getting a bit off the topic but I just wanted to point out that petrol making a come back in terms of engine technology, in the same manner diesel did 6-7 years ago.
For that year of car, and if its a VW 1.4 engine u want, you might be better off getting the Seat which may be cheaper. If money were less of an object but similar age of car opt for a fully serviced diesel with lower miles.