03 Audi A6 1.8t

N

Not for all

Thinking of buying an 03 Audi A6 1.8T . 38,000 miles Full Audi history.
€22,700. Just wanting to get peoples thought on this car. IE Is this a good deal, good car etc etc??

Don't do it 1.8T good car but the TDI is def the way to go.

you will literally get twice the miles to a tank on a diesel.

Audi make better diesel engines no doubt but doesn't it depend on how many miles Not for all is doing.
When does a diesel become more economical? 10,000 mpa , 12,000mpa ??

As far as I know the 1.8t would not have as much umph as the 130BHP TDI. That's the one to go for...

the diesel would be nicer to drive, cheaper to run and much more desireable when its time to get rid of it.

As far as I know the 1.8t would not have as much umph as the 130BHP TDI. That's the one to go for...

the 1.8t has 150 BHP. Had one 5 years. Only complaint was the service costs.

the 1.8t has 150 BHP. Had one 5 years. Only complaint was the service costs.

Yes...but the diesel has a lot more torque and is (I have heard) better to drive. Same as the Mk 4 Golf GTI vs its 130BHP diesel brother. Diesel was better all round.

In saying that the 1.8t Audi is still a fine car :)

Torque Smorque - it's nearly a second slower to 60.

Actually, never drove a diesel (nor ever likely to) so I'm clueless really! :)

Husband is selling his 01 Audi A4 at the moment, fully loaded, leather seats, a/c, full VW service history, m/f steering wheel, 1.9 tdi,130bhp, ~70k for €17k - just so you can get an idea of price. He has been pleasantly surprised with mileage and it has been a great car.

Torque Smorque - it's nearly a second slower to 60.

Actually, never drove a diesel (nor ever likely to) so I'm clueless really! :)

Good point :)

Am not a big diesel fan myself in that I wouldn't really want one...petrol all the way. I'm sure I'll rot in hell for that comment...

:D

Good point :)

Am not a big diesel fan myself in that I wouldn't really want one...petrol all the way. I'm sure I'll rot in hell for that comment...

I would suggest that ye try the newer turbo diesels. I always thought the same about diesels until I changed from a BMW 2 litre petrol to a 1.9tdi Audi. You get marginally less power but the torque of the diesel easily compensates for the loss of power. Also about half the fuel costs and better residuals. BMW diesels are now more powerful than their petrol equivalents.

Diesel all the way I'm afraid. Drive one and and you'll never look back to petrol engines, fragile little things that they are.

The 130bhp TDi A6 is the one to go for if you're hell-bent on the rings on the grille but the Passat (with the same engine) will be more comfortable and responsive to drive.

I would suggest that ye try the newer turbo diesels. I always thought the same about diesels until I changed from a BMW 2 litre petrol to a 1.9tdi Audi. You get marginally less power but the torque of the diesel easily compensates for the loss of power. Also about half the fuel costs and better residuals. BMW diesels are now more powerful than their petrol equivalents.

Ah...but you're leaving out one very important aspect...the noise a V6 or even straight six makes as opposed to diesel. VERY important ;)

Agree with you on the other points...modern turbo diesels are wonderful machines with great residuals etc...but for me it's still petrol. Plus I don't have to go near the leper pump at the petrol station :D

Plus I don't have to go near the leper pump at the petrol station :D

Besides, who's ever heard of a Diesel Station?

Apart from a V6, the noise (unless they've changed) of a Diesel versus a normal petrol engine would put me off. No point looking good if it sounds like a tractor! :)

Ah...but you're leaving out one very important aspect...the noise a V6 or even straight six makes as opposed to diesel. VERY important ;)

Thats a very expensive noise if thats the only objection to diesel. Admitedly diesel engines can be a bit tractor like when cold at low speeds but once you get going its nearly impossible to tell the difference though as you say they will never match the growl of a V6. However most V6 engines are 2.5l or higher so we are not really comparing like with like

Thats a very expensive noise if thats the only objection to diesel. Admitedly diesel engines can be a bit tractor like when cold at low speeds but once you get going its nearly impossible to tell the difference though as you say they will never match the growl of a V6. However most V6 engines are 2.5l or higher so we are not really comparing like with like

The sluggish start and tractor like noise would really put me off but if I was doing big mileage it's a no brainer. I have a 2.5 straight 6 so the noise is great :)

However...petrol costs and tax are a real pain. I await the day with baited breath when someone invents an engine that runs on water, sounds like a V6 and performs like one too. Also..I predict that this will happen and in our lifetime due to the energy/oil crisis looming.

Maybe not water though...possibly eye of newt or sweat from a very rare goat from Tibet or something ;)

Sorry for veering so far off topic.

Gabriel do you work for one of the oil companies?

v6 petrol it probably uses petrol turned off.

2.5 or 3.0 TDI beats your v6 any day.

A 2.0 TDI Octavia RS 6 speed 170 bhp 33k new. probably more torque than your bigger petrol.

600 miles to a tank and the beating of most petrol cars.

V6 noise me Ar$e. Oils burners will rule the world. :D

Gabriel do you work for one of the oil companies?

v6 petrol it probably uses petrol turned off.

2.5 or 3.0 TDI beats your v6 any day.

A 2.0 TDI Octavia RS 6 speed 170 bhp 33k new. probably more torque than your bigger petrol.

600 miles to a tank and the beating of most petrol cars.

V6 noise me Ar$e. Oils burners will rule the world. :D

Ha ha...no I don't work for any oil conglomerate I swear!! :)

Well...the juries out on that one. It depends what size of car the 2.5TDI is to be honest. I haven't met many cars that can beat me off the mark or at sustained speeds on the motorway...at legal limits of course ;)

Actually...on a serious note...I am reading a great book on these issues right now...Hydrogen fuel cells are the cars future. Will be fast...possibly even faster than modern sports cars...do about 1000 miles before needing to be re-fueled and do away with most expensive car parts. GM have already built concept versions. The difficult right now is mass producability of hydrogen fuel cells. Once they figure out how to make them cheap the motor industry will change drastically.
I look forward to the day with baited breath. It's something...believe it or not I feel quite guilty about...the 2.5 litre petrol guzzler I own. But...I love cars so it's one of those things...

P.S...I am a bit jealous about the fuel consumption btw. Statoil staff know me by name at this stage!

The v6 pass everything execpt a petrol station.

Mind you nothing like a not working too hard V8 Drove an S500 a few weeks ago very nice.

Hydrogen def sounds the way to go. If the oil companies would stop interfering, so cynical.

Back