£12 million sent to Nigerian Scams

aircobra19

I find it hard to believe so many fall for this. 12m?

Aussies fall for Nigerian Scam

Daft drongos cough up £12 million

By Nick Farrell: Wednesday, 20 August 2008, 10:33 AM

INSPECTOR KNACKER of the Queensland Yard is worried that so many Aussies are falling for the Nigerian scam.
Apparently more than £12 million is transferred from Aussie bank accounts to Nigerian scammers every year.
Coppers fear this might be the tip of the iceberg because victims fail to report incidents and some of the cash might be wired through other countries.
Detective Superintendent Brian Hay, part of the Queensland Police fraud squad, said Australians sent about £1.1 million a month to Nigeria, at least 80 per cent of which was fraud related.
He said that New South Wales people seemed to be the biggest victim group in Oz, quite why is another matter.
Hay got on the blower to 139 people who had sent money to Nigeria and found 135 were fraud victims. One romance victim lost more than £10,000 and a business invested in £2.5 million in a fictitious oil pipeline. µ

That cop has a racist name! :mad:

I'd say the word "apparently" might be key here - i.e. we just made that figure up?

Related to this, in the past few days I've been deluged with scam emails (okay five or six a day). I guess despite my best efforts, I still wasn't careful enough with my email address.

just think of all the jobs that would be lost in western union offices if these scams stopped...

I dunno why spam is such hassle. 99 out 100 of them have such obvious titles and subject text that its clearly spam. Likewise the same or 90% similar email sent to a few million people is obviously spam aswell. Why the online services and ISP's can't just catch all of this is beyond me. Gmail is very good at catching most of it. Hotmail is terrible. A lot of commercial software seems very poor at it aswell.

Does anyone else remember the Two Ronnies sketch called "The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town" which featured Inspector Corner of the Yard?

Back