Youth club meetings: Rules surrounding Ctte meetings and AGM's

miseagustusa

hi all, just wondering if any1 can help me out!

The committee of a youth club my son is a member of seem to be in dispute with each other!

Last week at a general parents meeting the parents voted on an AGM to be called for 3 weeks time.

Today I get a note to say the committee are calling a meeting for next week, surely a meeting cant be called so close after the last one and just before the AGM!

Dont know if i'm correct but it seems strange!

Last edited by a moderator:
Special (or Extraordinary) General Meetings can be called by most organisations pretty much at any time. If the Youth Club has a specific Constitution it should spell out the circumstances under which a Special General Meeting may occur.

Normally a minimum number of members need to sign a request that a Special General Meeting be convened, and then there is usually a minimum period of notice (often 7 or 14 days) required before the meeting may happen.

thanks for the reply!!!! it turns out now that their hasnt been an AGM for many years and the current committee were never elected, just asked to do whatever there doing, so they dont want an AGM so wont call 1 themselves, does any! no how to go about calling an AGM without the Committees consent????

thanks

If there is a Constitution it would be normal to require that an Annual General Meeting be called every 12 months, and the procedure for electing a committee should also be in the Constitution. If there hasn't been an AGM in years I would imagine that the committee have no standing. If you Google "club" and "constitution" I'm sure you'll find a typical one that will give you an idea as to normal procedures.

Back