young lad casual work and tax

minkydog

thinking of giving my pals son (18) some work cutting the lawns. He would earn about 50 -70 euro for each cut but I wonder do I then become a employer and then do I have to sort out his tax etc. Would love to give him the bit of work as he is starting college (hopefully) in september and could do with the few bob but dont want or need the hassel of sorting out tax etc. is there anyway around this ie what if he earns less than his allowances etc?
All help appreciated

You must have very big lawns. :)

I wouldn't worry about the tax end of things at all.

The revenue have bigger issues to concentrate on.

Check what your insurance policy says about engaging people. Lawn mower are dangerous machines.

thinking of giving my pals son (18) some work cutting the lawns. He would earn about 50 -70 euro for each cut but I wonder do I then become a employer and then do I have to sort out his tax etc. Would love to give him the bit of work as he is starting college (hopefully) in september and could do with the few bob but dont want or need the hassel of sorting out tax etc. is there anyway around this ie what if he earns less than his allowances etc?
All help appreciated
Asking him to operate dangerous machines on your property for payment opens a huge can of worms. Registering as an employer, insurance as already mentioned, elf n' safety, etc.

You could of course just give him 3,000 euro tax-free for no work ... No tax liability either way, etc.

Back