"You should not take out a fixed rate mortgage "

There wasn't much room for error. But I see I managed to make one!

I was subtracting 5k from EBS cumulative interest. I should have been subtracting 3.5k , following the info from my scenario above where UB give 1.5k in legal fees.

Sorry, it looked so complicated that I assumed you were counting sheep's legs.

Is the following, much simpler, calculation, materially incorrect? I don't think so, but you can check it easily. If my figure is right, yours is wrong. If my figure is wrong, then yours might be right.

€250k @0.4% = €1,000 a year. So it would take 3.5 years.

So go for the cash back as it's possible you will have switched within 3.5 years.

Brendan

Yes, your figure of 3.5 years is correct. I get the same answer when I updated my spreadsheet to subtract 3.5k from cumulative interest of EBS.

I understand what you are saying about over complicating it. But the way I've calculated makes sense to me, as I understand it. I don't understand your calculation - I'm sure it's right, I just don't understand it.

0.4% of €250k is €1000. I get this bit :)

What I don't get is how you can say it is €1000 every year. The principle of €250k is decreasing all the time. What am I missing here?

Yes, your figure of 3.5 years is correct. I get the same answer when I updated my spreadsheet to subtract 3.5k from cumulative interest of EBS.

Whew!

The principle of €250k is decreasing all the time. What am I missing here?

For questions like this a very rough answer is good enough for decision making purposes. You don't need an exact answer as you are, in effect, making a forecast.

The principal does reduce, but very slowly in the first few years, so it makes no difference to the outcome.

There is a principle in engineering which really should be adapted to finance - "You can't add a more precise number to a less precise number".

You are making an implied forecast about interest rates. So there is no need for precision.

Brendan

Perfect, thanks Brendan. That makes sense now - your calculation was an approximation, but margin of error is so small it's irrelevant for the analysis here.

Back